XJ1100!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!

I just took my XJ out for a little ride around the neighborhood while trying to sort out my carb and/or ignition problems (see my previous thread about pilot screw/jets). Anyway, I can see how you guys get so addicted to these bikes! WOW! I had only rode it once last fall right after I got it running again, and I only went about a 1/4 mile and back home. Mostly just checking tranny, clutch, brakes, etc. This time I decided to really flog her a bit. Damn! Even with it not running right at lower revs, this thing accelerates faster than anything I've ever operated. Not too good below 5k, but after that, it's like being strapped to an ICBM! Every time I wound it out, grabbed the next gear and hit the throttle again, I could feel the forks top out and the front wheel trying to come off the ground. I think it actually did a couple of times! This thing has some serious cajones! (Probably more than I do!) I can't imagine what it will be like once I finally get it running properly. Now if I can just figure out what the problem is............
    John
    82 XJ1100J
    "eXJunk"

Wow, I'm in about the same situation as you...I picked mine up earlier this summer and haven't been real agressive about getting it going correctly. Maybe next spring I'll really get a chance to test it out. I never really revved it up that much on the way home, and it wasn't running really well, so I have a feeling I haven't felt the power of the XS11!

Do you think my 81 Venture (faring, saddle bags, trunk) will have the same great pull? I'm considering losing some of the equipment, but then again I kinda like it all! I guess it isn't too often that you see a young (18) kid riding a full dress bike. It is usually a sport motorcycle, and if not, a badass chopper.

Kev
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Hey there Kev/90,

Yes, your bike should still have a similar "pull" but as you approach higher speeds, with the full fairing, you'll have more wind resistance, so you won't notice it as strongly in the upper gears/speeds! Living where you do, you'll want to keep the fairing for winter, but you might also want to make is convertible for summer, keeping just the saddlebags!? Depends on your comfort level. I don't like all of that stuff out front myself, I have a simple bar mounted screen, and can take it off as well.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what affect the fairing and stuff would have. Good to know. I should probably leave it on so I'm not trying for the high speed pull!

Winter?!? I think I'll put it away for the winter...too long, cold, and snowy around here...not too far south, it didn't seem too bad (Madison, WI), but we get ice-locked (I wonder if that is a good term for cold) around here. I suppose the accessories could extend my riding season though!

I was thinking about it, and I came to the conclusion that all other combinations but full dress, trunk removed, or faring and trunk removed would look strange. I have a hard time picturing that stuff, though. I'd have to get a headlight setup if I did remove it, so I think I might keep it for now...gotta get riding before I start changing stuff up!

I've heard that fork-mounted farings can cause a wobble when the wind blows, or for whatever reason. You have had good luck with yours, I assume. Whenever I see a harley, I think gosh, look at that giant fork-mounted handlebars! They must be Hardly Driveable!

Kev
        '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
        '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Working...
        X