Pingel Replacement Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pingel Replacement Petcock

When I got my XS1100 Midnight Special one of the first things I did was to remove that octapus, put inline filters in the fuel lines and run the fuel lines straight to the carbs from the run/off/reserve output port and cap off the Prime port. That makes frequent carb work easier and I don't need prime or the vacuum operated octapus since the petcocks have an Off position. Another annoying problem I've been having lately is the 5-hole washer in the petcock getting worn and leaking. It doesn't take long to get tired of replacing them at $4.00 each (the larger shops want $10.00!). I have a Pingel valve on my 750 Seca so I set out looking for some to fit the XS11. I found a suitable one on ebay, the model 4111-AH4. That's a small body valve with on/off/reserve, 1/4" NPT fitting in aluminum that comes with an aluminum mounting bracket having a 34mm hole spacing that's a perfect fit on the Special fuel tank. The sticker on the package said it was for 94-99 Yamaha YZ80-400 dirt bikes. I mounted that one then looked all over for a second one but nobody sells that combination anymore, they have the 4110-AH4 that doesn't have reserve or the 4111-AH3 with the wrong size bracket. Pingel doesn't show it on their website either. Today I called Pingel directly and they said they will sell the 4111-AH valve for $64.60 and the #4 plate for $11.35 with $3.85 shipping for a total of $79.80. They also have them in chrome. The only problem mounting it was the thick rubber gasket included with the kit will squeeze out around the bracket when the bolts are tightened. I've mounted them before and the best way I found to prevent leakage is to cut out a thin gasket and put a thin layer of Permatex RTV silicon gasket maker on both sides of the gasket and on the surface of the bracket and the mounting area of the tank. Make sure the surface of the tank is flat and smooth. You may have to file off any bumps before mounting the bracket. Then let it dry throughly for several hours before putting in any fuel. The valves only come with the handle on the left side for left side mounting with the outlet pointing back. It has to point back or at an angle, not inward, or it won't clear the frame. To mount the right side one press out the handle and push it in on the other side so the handle sticks out on the right with the outlet facing back.
    72 TS185
    77 XS750
    78 SR500
    80 XS850
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
    81 Seca XJ750RH

Mikes XS has a replacement petcock that may have the correct spacing. Worth a look?
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Right, several places have some that will fit but I wanted Pingels for their high flow rate. When the valve is opened there is a 1/4" hole straight through the valve.
      72 TS185
      77 XS750
      78 SR500
      80 XS850
      80 XS1100 Midnight Special
      81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Working...
      X