rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear shocks

Since I extended the drive shaft and swingarm of my bike, I have been having difficulty with my rear shocks due to the change of angle. Is there a way to remount the bottom of the shock so it is not attached to the final drive housing? Obviously, the swingarm side is easliy done but I'm stumped with how to go about fixing the final drive side

maybe a longer shock.I think some one used shocks from a v-max. try going to search.click on search on left side of screen. type in shocks see what comes up. good luck.

graybird78
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

re mount

what about a compitent aluminum welder? might have to fabricate a new mounting spot on th final drive?
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

You could fabricate a bracket to attach to the axle, and to the shock mount, then have a bolt flush welded to the bracket at the proper location, and bolt the shock in place. I am assuming that you want the shock farther forward. The bracket would have to be offset at the axle, cause the two surfaces are not on the same plane. How did you lengthen the swing arm and shaft?
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

I don't know, maybe I'm being too obvious, but the frames steel! I would think it would be easier just to move the upper shock mount point backwards on the frame?? Not sure how it would possibly get in the way of the seat grab rail?? Just welding steel should be easier than messing with the aluminum drive case!?

And if necessary, welding some extra struts/braces to the fender frame rails from the heavier junction to help support and stiffen that area may be needed!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

the frame has been cut off just behind the shock mount

Comment

Working...
            X