Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to replace exhaust

hi to all.
    seems I need to replace the exhaust on my 80sg. the cross over or balance tube rusted out and is cracked on the left side at the weld to the muffler. the rest of the exhaust is good. what is or has anyone used or is using on their bikes. I do not like the sound or looks of 4-1s. just my personal tastes. would like to locate good used factory exhaust.for left side as the rest is ok.would any other size yamaha, xj,or such fit without much modification.wish i could afford new mac or jardine 4-2. But the better half just started working after 6 months no work, so funds are really limited. jcw has some slip -ons any thoughts.also i noticed if i go aftermarket pipes and mufflers what would i do about the stops for the center stand and the kick stand. how would one go about making something. have looked all over town here all i can find is standards. and they are not in the best of shape.hope you can help out. also noticed that gas milage and performanced have both dropped off.thanks for your advice.

graybird78
    80sg
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Hey Greybird78,

You got any welders in your area?? Could possibly just get some modest thickness grade sheet metal/exhaust pipe or such and have someone weld the hole where the crossover pipe fits in, just cut the crossover pipe out! Should be much cheaper than buying new pipes and such right now, and the crossover area is on the inside/underside of the pipes, so the fix shouldn't show too much!? Just another idea since the rest of the pipes are OK!?

My after market pipes came with a bar that bolted onto the muffler holder spot and makes contact with the center stand lever arm, so it holds it in place just fine, and the side stand will stop when it gets in the up position, that rubber stopper is just to keep it from hitting/damaging the pipes. Yes, the arm on the sidestand sticks out but you want it to anyways, to easily catch it with your heel/bottom of your foot when you want to put it down to park. Doesn't really look funny without the pipe in it!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

pipes

topcat
      never thought of that.good idea. only bad part is the muffler now has a crack in it to. but i still like the idea. just want to finish the riding season out .things are starting to look up finance wise for us. then this winter will weight out my options. I do much like the looks of the stock exhaust. thank you for the suggestion. keep up the good work on here.

graybird78
      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
      X