Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part II - anybody experience 'clutch chatter' w/ their XS11??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part II - anybody experience 'clutch chatter' w/ their XS11??

...well, found the problem of the 5kRPM 'vibration'...
    it was the exhaust system...
    'took a day off and rode 82 miles to an early afternoon blues festival in Antioch (near San Francisco)... then in the late afternoon went to another one past Sacramento (Auburn) ~90miles.
    then on my way home (~110 miles) the sound of the exhaust got REAL loud (stock system from eBay for $39!) - the PO had welded the mufflers to the header pipes and the stress cracked the weld... I *WAS* driving FAST... 85mph most of the way, and coming back was racing a couple of Ducatis and a Kawi Ninja - I remember the speedo was somewhere between 120 and 130...

...anyway, I was just about home, within 3 miles, and the exhaust sounded like I was running on 3 cylinders - but no loss of power and the bike was acting 'normal'...
    ...after parking it in the garage I inspected the system and saw a complete crack all the way through the pipe... DAMN!
    I love the power boost of the 4-into-one/Kerker, I think it sounds like an old small 60's sports car, but when I pass someone on the fwy I see 'annoyed faces'... but the quieter stock system isn't as obnoxious to others...

...so, Chevy454 (Mike) you had wanted my 4-into-one... you should've jumped on it - it's now going back on my bike tomorrow in the morning when it's cooler... and this is the way I'm taking it thru NV, Utah, and AZ...

Now that the exhaust is gonna be off the bike I can change the oil and filter again...

1980 XS1100SG

oh well

i had just sent ya a pm before i seen this,guess it wasn't meant to be,just keep me in mind for a nother time.Have a safe and happy VACTION anyway,sounded like you could use it...
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
    X