Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dip stick tech tip

Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

macnut

i also have a tool box under the bike xj it is stock.looks like the actual tool storage for the little bag of tools. I call the one under the seat my glove box...lol. my other xj doesn't have the lower box but has the mounting tabs and such for one to go there.Maybe Jerry or someone with more knowledge than me can shed some light..
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hmmm.......
        All I know is the stock tool kit was in the box under the seat on my parts XJ when I got it. I seem to recall a very small compartment on eXJunk down on the right by the (still attached) locking chain. I just assumed that was the storage box for the chain (that I unfortunately don't have the key for).
        John
        82 XJ1100J
        "eXJunk"

Comment

could be

now i never thought of that as i had no chain with either of my bikes.But iwasn't lucky enough to get tools either.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey T.C.

I'm gonna have to get you to give me a demonstration of engaging the centerstand from the side at the T.W.O. rally!
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

Robert,

I suggest you start with a high carb diet!

Actually, it's all technique and easy once you know exactly how to do it. I had trouble getting my 650 on the stand when I bought it and it's 100 lbs lighter than the 1100 and I'm big and fat. One's as easy as the other now.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Marty,

I sure look forward to learning that technique. The thought of the bike getting away from me scares me from trying it, cause my 155 pounds is no match for the bikes 575+ pounds.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

finally got mine. $4.35 and he said it was the last one he had (ya right, i'm sure they have a warehouse full of these things somewhere.

how i wanna go outside and check my oil, but i'm still scared about putting it on the center stand by myself.
                  1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Steel Cable in Tool Kit

Don't own one, have never seen one used, BUT! I understand that the "HOOKS" on top rear portion of the swing arm is where you connect this cable to. It then hooks onto the frame up under the seat some where. You then put the bike up on it's center stand. The cable will hold the wheel assembly up high enough to allow you to remove the rear axle without disturbing the muffler. This is on standards. The muffler on Specials is short enough that you can remove the axle without disturbing the muffler.
                    Ken/Sooke
                    78E Ratbyk
                    82 FT500 "lilRat"
                    92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Originally posted by brock
                      finally got mine. $4.35 and he said it was the last one he had (ya right, i'm sure they have a warehouse full of these things somewhere.

how i wanna go outside and check my oil, but i'm still scared about putting it on the center stand by myself.
                      Where'd you get it - Cycle-nation?
                      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Ya, that place south on monroe. I like it way better than the honda place out pensacola. Not as big, with not as much stuff, but i don't like the way the big honda place treats you when you only wanna spend 4 dollars or ask a question. Too bad, He said it was the last one, tho.

You see em on ebay sometimes, and before yesterday, i made a little tool out of two pencils, a paperclip, and some duct tape. I should have taken a picture. it worked great.
                        1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I've got a couple spares - maybe he meant the last on hand perhaps? Yeah, of all the shops in T-town, I like Cyclenation (formerly Hartman) the best. They treat their customers right. Florida Motorsports is second (they are slow to call you when parts arrive, always overbooked, etc), the Cycleshop is the *worst* place in town according to me.
                          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
                          X