choke problem and back firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke problem and back firing

For some reason my XS1100 Special will not run with the choke in the off position. I've had the bike for about 3 months and up till a few weeks ago it has run fine. I normally let the bike warm up for a few minutes before riding. Now when I turn off the choke the bike cuts off. As a result I have to ride with the choke in the middle posion or it will cut off while slowing down or stopping. I also have noticed a popping from the right exhaust (the previous owner had the duel's put on). Not sure if there is a connection or not.

Thanks for the help.
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

sounds like a lean condtion. choke system on our bikes is more like a fuel enrichment circuit. means it uses more fuel to aid in warm up. if you have to keep choke partially closed to run or idle then it's running to lean. something wrong in idle circuit. the backfire on decel is probably is also due to lean condition. maybe the pilot circuit has become plugged up. may be time to clean out the carbs.some of the carb guru's may chime in. they
    will be better apt to explain what's up.

graybird78
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Hey there Graybird and Dbyers,

No Carb Guru here, but what you said makes perfect sense. Depending on where you buy your gas down there in "GA", you could have gotten some contaminents from older stations with dirty storage containers? Get some Sea Foam from local Boat Store, read the mixing directions, use double recommended amount, and run a few tank fulls thru, and see if that doesn't help.

Also, you can adjust the idle throttle screw down in the middle of the carbs to temporarily increase the throttle idle speed to help prevent it from cutting off on decel and stopping, so you don't have to run with the "Fuel Enrichment" lever opened, not highly recommended!! Then once you notice that your idle starts running much faster=idle circuits clearing up with carb cleaner, then you can readjust it back down!
      HTH.
      T.C.
      PS, Dbyers, you should post your tech requests in the OTHER Forum for tech help, this one is more for OFF TOPIC discussions and banter.....not as many people read these, and you will have more luck with responses in the TECH SECTION! Just an FYI.
      Thread moved since Dbyers contacted me!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X