bent float pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bent float pin

I was replacing my needle valve assemblies when I bent one of my float pins, much like the one pictured with the toothpick on the message board. Like an idiot, I tried to staighten it and now I have a useless, doglegged peice of junk. I've searched many of the links here to find a replacement but so far have been unsuccessful. Will I likely have to get this from a graveyard or have I missed an obvious link. Thanks in advance.

Re: bent float pin

I once cleaned a Kawasiki carb that had an unrestrained pin. It went all the way through the goal posts and float pivot and was simply held in place by the sides of the float bowl. It was NOT pressed in place. What a concept!

Originally posted by tantofolder
    Will I likely have to get this from a graveyard or have I missed an obvious link. Thanks in advance.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

bent float pin

The pin will no longer go through the pivot point. Are you suggesting I make one? Are originals that hard to come by? Thank you for responding.

Comment

The pin will no longer go through the pivot point. Are you suggesting I make one? Are originals that hard to come by? Thank you for responding.

Comment

Float pivot pin

Hi Tantofolder,
          Just mebbe your dealer has one, if not try the local bike breaker. If all else fails look for a common finishing nail at the hardware store that has the exact (measured with a micrometer) same diameter as the original.
          More important is how to remove & install those pins without wrecking them (or more importantly) busting the goalposts off.
          I got this tip from Bill Denton on the XS650 site and it's brilliant.
          Buy a spring-operated centrepunch. They are not cheap but it will pay for itself tenfold the first carb. goalpost you don't bust off.
          Put the point on the small end of the pin and push. The punch will compress and go click and the pin will move out without being bent or damaged in any way.
          I've had some shoot right out and some needed 2 or 3 clicks before they'd move with my fingers but come out they all did.
          To put 'em back in, slide them in with your fingers until they resist then click them home with the punch.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The center punch trick is the way to go! That's the way I do it, and I never have to worry about breaking the posts.
            John
            82 XJ1100J
            "eXJunk"

Comment

BTW, if you can give me length and diameter measurements from your old pin, I will look around and see if I have something from my stock of old junk bike carbs that will fit.
              John
              82 XJ1100J
              "eXJunk"

Comment

Many thanks freditoon and macnut xj. I don't have a micrometer now, so I"ll have to try tomorrow to find an original. The center punch sounds good to prevent further disappointment. My 80 Midnight Special has been sitting for years, which was fine when I had something on the road. I need to take my time and baby this old dog,now.
                Richard

Comment

You may be able to fab one out of a dowell pin that can be picked up at just about any hardware store.
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Well, after digging around in my junkpile, I came across some stainless wire. I was able to make a straight pin that works however, it is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the float sleeve, leading me to believe the float may try to stick if it doesn't rise level. I say this because I realise how precise the float adjustment must be.This wire was what I had and it only took a few seconds, so its no big deal if it doesn't work. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

You can get brand new OEM (maybe NOS) from bikebandit.com - I got four of 'em a year ago.
                      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

snipped off nails are fine. 2mm.

Comment

Well, there you go. I liked the simplicity of the Kawasiki carb. The pin was long and slid a little side to side, only being restrained by the sides of the float bowl from going too far.

Originally posted by Snow
                          You can get brand new OEM (maybe NOS) from bikebandit.com - I got four of 'em a year ago.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                          X