Need New Speedo and Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Speedo and Tach

Does anyone know where I might buy a NOS or new replacement speedo and tach for a 79 XS1100SF? Both my speedo and tach have seen better days and do now work correctly and are rusting on the bottom. I'm sure oneday a used set will show up on Ebay but I'd rather get a new one if possible.

Thanks
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Hey there Dbyers,

I recently checked the OEM parts #'s for both speedo and tachs on Cycle-parts.com, and they only had the Speedos, about .... are you sitting down?? IIRC, it was at least $170.00 if not more!!

I'm actually planning a tech tip for replacement Speedo and Tach's for the XS, mostly for the Specials, cause you can find the round ones, not square ones!!!

JCW has a 160mph 2-1/4" diam face, 2-3/8" diam housing which is about 1" smaller than ours, but at $39.95, the price is right. They have a tach, but it's mechanical, says for ALL yamaha, but they mean all MEchanical Yamaha's!!!

At www.sunpro.com they have the Powerline Performance Tach at the following link:
    Sunpro Tach

which reads to 10k rpm, and can be wired to the negative side of the coil, set for 2cylinder engine cause they provide 2 pulses for 2 full rotations of the crankshaft, and running off of 1 coil, with our waste spark system, 1 coil fires every rotation of the crank! That tach is about $110.00, it has a larger 3-1/2" diam face, comes in Black face with white, same style as the aforementioned Speedo!

HTH? T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

WOW that's $$$$

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye on e-bay and hope to come across one that is in better shape than mine. I saw the JCW ones but had hoped to find a more stock replacement for mine. This bike is fun but man can it become $$$$ quickly. I'll check out the links you sent and save my nickles and dime.

Thanks again,
      David
      "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

the whole gauge cluster

i currently have two whole gauge clusters for sale one reads 17k and the other is at 24k. the 24k one would need to have a different face surround on it (it has a couple of dents) other than that they are in good order. check out my ad in the classifieds.
        " if you want it different, chop it up."
        C.A. Kustoms

Comment

Have complete set off a 79special. Will pull them out tonight and see how many miles on the speedo and general condition of them. Let me know if you are interested.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
          X