Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody experience 'clutch chatter' w/ their XS11??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody experience 'clutch chatter' w/ their XS11??

...'got a strange vibration - that *definitely* does NOT feel right - above 5kRPM, and at various times while down shifting or letting off the gas... I use to experience this same strange 'vibration' on my '53 Harley when the clutch plates were warped, 'gummy', or if the clutch basket was loose... does the XS11 do the same thing?

...bad timing too - I was going to take my 1st vacation (more than 1 day off in a row) since March 1998, and go thru Nevada, S.Utah, and check out the N.rim of the Grand Canyon... 'hope I can get this sorted out before the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept...

1980 XS1100SG

Try adjusting the cam chain. Make sure your timing is correct. Use a good oil. I did an experiment following the oil analisis done ( according to the tech tips on oil ) I was using Honda HP4 $ 8.00 a quart. The analisis put that oil at the bottom of the list. Kawa chem was near the bottom also. But Castrol GTX 20-50 was near the top and alot cheaper so I tried it out. Engine was noisy and was rattling alot. After about 300 miles I dropped it out and it looked like Kawa chem after around 1300-1500 miles. I went back to Kawa chem 20-50 ( cheaper then Honda HP4 ) and the noises went away. 1300 miles later, Still quiet.
    Note: kawa chem is the same oil as Yama lube, Just a few pennies less.
    Does your clutch slip? ( common with XS's )
    Carbs cleaned and adjusted properly?
    Just throwing a few ideas at ya that would mabee cauz a vib at that RPM.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

hey unkle

Yea what he said. If your clutch is not slipping i'd go with the cam chain first. Just remember to line up the proper timing marks BEFORE losening the bolt and set nut for the tenseioner. I've recently replaced my cam chain from a vary bad vibration at like 3-4,000 rpms.Or when i let off the throttle.But then again i knew it was the chain,as i had run out of adjustment. Hope this helps
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Chevy, How do you know when you have run out of adjustment on your cam chain? I just adjusted my cam chain about 1500 miles ago, it got a lot quieter, and less vibration, but now it acts like it could use adjusting again. Later 'Dog

Comment

Ask me the time, and I tell you how to make a watch! OK, I am bored.

1. warm the engine
          2. remove the ign cover, left side
          3. rotate the crank with a 3/4" wrench or a 19mm wrench by the "nut" on the end of the crank, in a clockwise rotation to line-up the "C" mark. Do not pass it and then come backwards
          4. release the buddy nut on the tensioner then
          release the stopper bolt on the tensioner
          5. tighten the stopper bolt. Not too tight, something like 4.5 FT-LBS (be careful). snug-up the buddy nut.
          6. remove the tensioner. Do not roll the bike around!
          7. measure the distance from the inside edge of the housing to the spring-side of the plunger foot (black rubber)
          8. release the stopper bolt and let it react its limit
          9. remeasure the distance
          10. calculate the difference in the two measurements. This is what is left in the adjustment.
          11. cock the tensioner
          12.reinstall with new gask, if needed...if you make your own, don't use thick material, and be careful about not overtorquing those two allen bolts, or you will strip the threads in the engine!
          13. release the stopper bolt and hear the click
          14. torque the stopper (again be careful)
          15. torque the buddy not (something like 7.5 ft-lbs, but look up the specs)
          16. put the ign cover back on.
          17. your done!

Originally posted by scalded dog
          Chevy, How do you know when you have run out of adjustment on your cam chain? I just adjusted my cam chain about 1500 miles ago, it got a lot quieter, and less vibration, but now it acts like it could use adjusting again. Later 'Dog
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

...'broke out the shop manual this morning and adjusted the cam chain tensioner before I came into the shop...
            it's a 20 mile ride down a pretty straight freeway, and I had it up to ~90mph at one stretch - same thing: a LOT of vibration just about 5kRPM up to ~5.5k and when coming back down from 6k or 7k... this wasn't it - unless the chain needs to be replaced. I think I'm gonna order one, master link, engine gasket, AND new clutch plates also from PartsNmore anyway - completely go thru EVERYTHING before my road trip - I ***AM*** going - regardless...

NOTE: An old friend of mine DID warn me when I first got this XS11SG that I had to make SURE to use 'motorcycle engine oil' and not 'regular car oil'. He said it made his XS11F clutch slip like crazy. I've already changed the oil out twice and will do it again this Sunday. I want this bike to outlast me!

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Hey Dog

After doing chain adjust still had noise. So i pulled the tencioner off the motor and it was all the way out. Made sure it was not stuck,and that was not the case,so in goes a new chain. VERY quiet now and i also herd the pop when i did the adjust after the chain was in.By the way unk you did not mention if this was just a vibe or does a noise go with the vibe? Just might help in diagnostics?
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Cam cover gasket...not head gasket. I am sure this is what you mean. BIG difference in price. Might be a good time to check the valve clearances...

Originally posted by UncleSpot
                [B(snip) I think I'm gonna order one, master link, engine gasket, AND new clutch plates also from PartsNmore anyway - completely go thru EVERYTHING before my road trip - I ***AM*** going - regardless...

[/B]
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Don't worry about the use of 'Car Oil'. These old bikes were built before the advent of 'Bike Oil'. Just use a quality brand and use the specified weight. I have been using castrol 20w-50 for over 13 years in my bike, and I have had NO oil related problems. Change it, and the filter frequently, and you'll have no problems.

Comment

Hey there UncleSpot,

I'm surprised someone didn't mention this, but check all of your engine mounts, and exhaust mounts, front and back. Many times folks have had funny harmonic vibrations, and it was due to loose muffler brackets and getting harmonics thru the frame!?

I don't think it would be the U-joint, cause I would expect it at many engine speeds, but others like Skids know much more about this!?!?

Once the clutch is engaged, unless it's slipping, I wouldn't think it would cause such vibrations. I've experienced warped clutch disc on other vehicle, and it does provide a funny pulsing sensation, but usually only when trying to slip/engage the clutch, like taking off from stop! Good Luck, and enjoy the rally!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Automobile oil contains aditives that will put a glaze on your clutch plates and cause premature wear and slipping. Don't use it after you install a new clutch. Also soak your new clutch plates in motorcycle oil overnite before instalation.
                      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Not to start a pi$$ing contest, but

I have been using Castrol 20w-50 for 13 years in my bike, and I have never had a problem with clutch slippage, or any other oil related problems. I've put over 60k miles on it, and I inspected the clutch discs when I rebuilt the engine and they appeared fine. I did not measure them, but they showed no signs of slipping, or warping. I did replace the clutch discs, and springs when I did the big bore, just because I wanted to, not because I had to. I also had the trans gears undercut. I didn't know how the old clutch would handle the increase in power. The new clutch is fine, with around 1k miles on it now. It will pull the front wheel up without doing any clutch tricks. Just accerate in first gear, decelerate, and accerate hard again. I can easily get 12-15 inches of lift. Not possible with a slipping clutch.

Comment

I'm not sure about motorcycles, but tires on cages will cause a vibration at 55-60 mph if they're out of balance. Is that a possibility. They usually have a speed range that they vibrate in, once you're faster than that, you won't notice it anymore. Is the vibration present no matter what gear you're in or is it just in 5th...which would indicate it's speed related, not rpm related.

Just my 2 Cents.

'82 XJ1100J-John
                          '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Working...
                          X