chalky oxidation removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chalky oxidation removal

anyone have any tips on easy removal of that chalky residue that aluminum gets if exposed to the elements for long periods? there must be a good way!

Hey there Dbag51,

I wasn't too worried about keeping a showroom finish on my wheels and such where they had developed that "9" year corrosion finish!! I used a 3M synthetic grinding wheel on a drill ! ! Just ground it down to bare aluminum, fast and furious, but leaves a nice textured finish! You could then use various grades of emory cloth, etc. to buff out any deep grooves or gouges, but there really weren't very many or very deep. Then polish away!

They make an Aluminum jelly, like Naval jelly for rust, but it's for aluminum, that you could try as well, less dangerous for causing deep scratches!

Check the tech tips on polishing and such! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

my old boss told me once to spray the engine down with WD 40, and then take it for a ride and let it burn off. Now... I can't vouch for the results, but on older bikes that come into the shop all corroded, I hose them down with WD 40, just in case. makes them look better, but don't know if this is a permanent fix.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
      X