Master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master cylinder

I was just wondering if anyone has attempted to convert a newer billet master cylinder to the xs? I am looking for any chrome of billet stuff I can put on the BIGDOG. Any suggestions on where to look?
    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
    80 XS650 Special
    85 KAW 454 LTD
    Dirty Dan

Try your local Honda shop, get a MC for a GoldWing, they have lots of bling/bling for them in JCW!!! And I think they are still 7/8" bar clamps, vs. the 1" that the cruisers are using!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Whatever you get, I think you should make sure it is for double front calipers.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
      Try your local Honda shop, get a MC for a GoldWing, they have lots of bling/bling for them in JCW!!! And I think they are still 7/8" bar clamps, vs. the 1" that the cruisers are using!?
      T.C.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Whatever you do make sure the brake handle matchs up with clutch handle or that you can change it also. It would not look very cool with non matching handles.
        There's always a way, figure it out.
        78XS11E

Comment

I bought an all-metal master cylinder from www.partsnmore.com that works great. It was painted black but I'm sure you could strip the paint of and polish it. Overall size is about ½ the size of the original XS master cyl. The leaver matches the clutch lever too.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Great, Thanks everyone. I do plan to do bothlevers. I have already stripped the switch housings and sanded and polished the to a real nice finish. I currently have Honda Grips that are chrome and rubber. The master cylinder and mirrors are my next step.

By the way TC, I have actually converted to the 1" bar. Fatboy handle bars with billet dog bone raisers. I am really liking the look I a beginning to get. Just need more chrome!!!
            79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
            80 XS650 Special
            85 KAW 454 LTD
            Dirty Dan

Comment

Hey Dan,

Which Dog Bone Risers did you get? What mods did you do to fit it to the top Triple tree??

Hey Pat, that MC, did it say it was for dual Caliper Bikes? How does it feel, do you have to squeeze it almost to the handlegrip to get a tight feel? Was wondering due to Beechfront's experience with the MC he first got, then got the larger 16mm one and said it worked much better for him, but haven't heard an update about it?!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey T.C.

I got the 7/8 s dog bone and opened the top of the dog bone up with a rasp and a 1" grinding stone. I would not consider cutting up the mount on the triple tree, just incase I want to go back. It fist perfect. As for the master cylinder, I think I will look at the goldwing cylinders as you suggested. I think the goldwing being a larger bike it should function well on the BIGDOG.
                79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                80 XS650 Special
                85 KAW 454 LTD
                Dirty Dan

Comment

Hey again Dan,

Thanks, but what brand, where did you get them, model #, etc., not just for me, but perhaps others that might want to keep the 7/8's, but want more reach!! Thanks!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Sorry T.C.

Getting old I guess. I got the dogbone raisers from a buddy in the neiborhood. He has two custom choppers he always seems to be working on. I did see a couple different sets on Ebay and I found a set at Cycle recycle's website. Most of the ones I found were listed for choppers. They range from $15 to several hundred. Depends on how much chrome you want and material.
                    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                    80 XS650 Special
                    85 KAW 454 LTD
                    Dirty Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X