Shifting problem; 3rd to 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting problem; 3rd to 4th

I consistently have a problem shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear on my '79 Standard. It feels like the dogs are skipping quite a bit before they engage and I have to realy shift hard (harder than any of the other gears) to get it in. I've tried shifting at higher RPMs and lower RPMs with the same result...the "skipping" occurs everytime. I mentioned this to a mechanic while I was ordering some parts and he said it sounded like the shifting fork was bent. Does that sould reasonable?

Is there more than one shifting fork? Because I have no problems shifting into any of the other gears.

Check the tech tips under repairs. I think you may find your answer there. This is something that these bikes are known for. Mine does the exact same thing every now and then. I need to do the repair suggested in the tech tips, just havfent had time.
    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
    80 XS650 Special
    85 KAW 454 LTD
    Dirty Dan

Comment

I read the intire tech tips before I posted. I think my problem is different than the "second gear" problem that is discussed in transmission repair because once the bike is in 4th gear, it doesn't pop out. Nor does it pop out or have problems shifting into any other gear.

I'm thinking a bent shifting fork makes sence if there is a seperate fork for the 3rd to 4th gear shift. I can visualize the PO getting into a false neutral during this shift and hammering down on the shifter. Hopefully it is a reasonably straight-forward fix.

Comment

You could be right, however, I have had my bottom end apart not two weeks ago and the shifting forks were fine, yet I still get the same proble you are discribing. The only difference is mine is not everytime.
        79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
        80 XS650 Special
        85 KAW 454 LTD
        Dirty Dan

Comment

so, your forks looked fine, eh? and your having the same problem. How did the gears look? Did you repair anything? or just take a look.

Comment

Everything appeared to be fine? I was in there replacing the primary chain and decided to take a quick look. Now understand, I do not have a trained eye, however, nothing appeared to be worn.
            79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
            80 XS650 Special
            85 KAW 454 LTD
            Dirty Dan

Comment

In Clymer's manual, pages 125 and 126, it describes how to "time" the shifting drums. Mine did what you described, and the mark that should line up with the trans in second gear did not line up. I made the adjustment, and it was much better, but not perfect, but I can live with it. Hope this helps.
              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
              79 F (Blueballs)
              79 SF (Redbutt)
              81 LH (organ donor)
              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
              rover has spoken

Comment

Rover, Is this something that can be done without removing the motor from the frame?
                79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                80 XS650 Special
                85 KAW 454 LTD
                Dirty Dan

Comment

Hey there GSBike,

Rover has a good tip, and to "try" to help with that, here's a "not very good" picture, but if you look at the upper right hand corner, you'll see the shift pawl, there is a long thin arm that slides across the end of the shift drum, there is a small line etched about in the middle of it, across it, and then about 11:30 clock position on the Shift Drum there is a matching little line there as well, this picture isn't in the "Shifted to 2nd gear" position, so they aren't lining up, but hopefully you can see what he's talking about!

Surprisingly, 3rd gear IS Undercut from the factory, the only 1 that I saw that way when I tore mine down for the 1st/2nd gear fix. There are 3 shift forks, but they are relatively easy to get to via the tranny fix method! I've always found false neutral between 4th and 5th on my XS11. Hopefully the adjustment is all you will need, but aside from a bent fork, you could also have worn channels in the shift drum that the ends of the shift forks slide in and are controlled by!? The easiest is the alignment first, then if that doesn't do it, then you know you may have to break into the tranny! Good Luck!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

This CAN be done without removing the engine. Drain the oil, and remove the cover the shift lever comes out of. Inside you will see what TC and I are talking about. Get the Clymer's manual, you will need it sooner or later anyhow. This is also described in the Yamaha Service Manual, a yellow and quite pricey book, very hard to find these days.
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Great, Thanks Top Cat and Rover. It is a bit hard to see on the photo but I think I know what your refering to.

I did get the manual so I will do the realignment first and let you know.

Thanks again for you help.

Comment

Working...
                      X