No announcement yet.

DIAPHRAGM ASS'Y For Fuel Lines Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you give me a quick way to ID this thing? How big is it and where is it mounted?

Heavy jets are a piece of cake.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I'd rather do a 'Heavy C' on my XS than on a 767
      The octo can be found bolted to the top, inner side of #1 carb. It will be attached to the diaphram cover. It will have four 1/4 inch ports, and one 3/16 port for the vacuum line that comes from the front of #1 carb boot, where the boot bolts to the head. Go to the online yama parts site, http://www.yamaha-motor.com/service/service.asp, and the rest is self explanitory.

Comment

OK. I think I found it between and in front of the #1 & #2 carb. It's bolted to #1, right?

New York Yankee in Georgia!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

If it has four fuel lines attached to it, then thats it. Now, get rid of it.

Comment

New Y fuel line in place

I went to Advance Auto and got a Y adaptor and actually found clear fuel lines. Got it installed last nigt and it looks and works great. I may be a geek but it's pretty cool to watch the gas leave the tank and hit the carbs. The guy at Advance said he used them on his bike and it held up well under the heat. Guess I'll know soon!
            "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

I hope you did the same thing on each side. That would require two Y's, one for each petcock, one on right side, and one on left side. I also used clear fuel hoses, but seem to get hard after a couple of years.
              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
              79 F (Blueballs)
              79 SF (Redbutt)
              81 LH (organ donor)
              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
              rover has spoken

Comment

Yep Two

Oh yes...I installed two of them.....one Y on each side....
                "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

If you're looking for clear fuel lines, try a lawnmower repair shop. They often carry green or blue tinted and clear lines. I've got green ones on my bike. The PO says they were last replaced about 5 years ago. They're still as pliable as new ones! I don't know about heat resistance, I try to keep mine as far from engine heat as I can.

'82 XJ1100J-John
                  '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

This is too wierd!!! I just took my leaking "Octo" of my '79 XS110 Spec. today and was trying to figure out what I was going to do now. I thought I would come here to check out all the chatter and hopefully get some ideas and lo and behold dbyers is having the same problem. Well, I sure glad to hear you don't need this goofy thing because my Yami dealer just told me he couldn't get them anymore from the factory. Let me say thanks too to all you guys for your info and help. I'll be back on the road tomorrow.

Comment

Greezer,
                      Yep the guys on here really saved me on this. This is my first bike and I had no idea how to fix this. I'm also finding that my local Yami dealer really isn't much on helping out a guy with a bike as old as mine. I get told time and time again that they can't get the part with no offer to help out. I'm greatful to have found this forum for all the great help.

Comment

Tought you might find this funny. I'm the one that started all this Octo conversation so wanted share a learning experience I had last night. When I got home I started the bike for no real reason other than to hear it idle for a few minutes. It was raining so I wasn't heading out for a ride. Anyway I cut the bike off and closed the garage doors and headed up stairs to order pizza. When the pizza guy got to the door I thought it smelled like gas when I opened the door to get the pizza. I honestly thought it was him so closed the door and had dinner. Went to bed around 11pm and woke up at 1am with a God awful smell of fuel in the house. As soon as I got up I knew what it was...I forgot to turn off the gas after screwing with the bike. I went down to the basement and sure enough there was a small puddle by the kick stand. For some reason the builders in Georgia like to put the furnace in the garage. Well when the AC kicked on it drew all the gas fumes from the garage to the rest of the house.

It's amazing how so little gas can cause such a strong smell. So I turned off the gas on the bike and opened the windows. It was a hot rainy and humid way to sleep but I'm alive today.

Comment

fumes

Been there , done that. Thats why I said in my post to turn the fuel off each time you park your bike. Glad there was mot bad outcomes for you guys! Buck

Comment

I realise this is not the best time to tell you, but the entire octopus assembly is available from Bike Bandit. It is part no. 34275-001, and sells for $54.13. If Bike Bandit has it, Yamaha should also. This is quite pricey, but if you can't or don't want to shut the fuel off, this is an option. Also there are kits available to rebuild the octopus. Maybe your floats, one or more are leaking, and they usually run over when on the sidestand, if the level is set on the high side. The standard has vacuum operated petcocks, but those petcocks will not fit the special tank. The tanks can be interchanged, and also the sending unit for the low fuel light (spec) and the one for the standard will fit both tanks. I consider the octopussy to be a pain in the rump, but I also forget to close the petcocks on my SF. I once left it on for two weeks, and when I came back to run it, there was over a quart of fuel in the oil. So, if and when I start using the SF, I will go back to the damned octopussy to keep from having the fuel get in the oil again.
                            put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                            79 F (Blueballs)
                            79 SF (Redbutt)
                            81 LH (organ donor)
                            79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                            76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                            rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                            X