This bike has spoiled me rotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This bike has spoiled me rotten

After I crashed my XJ I thought, as a beginner, maybe I should look for a smaller bike to start out with. So this weekend I looked through the cycle trader and found on that I've always thought would be a cool bike and it's small. A Honda Silverwing. So Yesterday I rode my XJ out to look at this other little bike. It's a 500 CC "poor mans" touring bike. This one had the front fairing, and a trunk to replace the back seat. I sat on it and thought, "man this thing is light, this is what I'm looking for". So I took it for a ride. I couldn't get over how sluggish it was. I rode around a residential neighborhood doing about 25-30 and I was already in third gear. I got it up to about 45-50 once and the RPMs were at about 5000 in fifth gear. It manuevered great since it was so light, but man was it gutless. I considered the asking price of the bike and what I might get for my XJ and thought, I can't give up a sweet comfortable, fast ride for a lightweight, buzzy little tourer that won't get me over about 75 MPH unless it's pointed down hill.

If the XJ hadn't been my first bike, I probably would have been none the wiser. I turned the bike down and rode home on my sweet riding $200 gem. It handles like a big bike but I guess I'll just have to learn to ride a big bike. I'm new at this (only have about 1200 miles on so far including one small crash) but I'm enjoying it enough to keep going. I've ridden my friends Harley and I don't like it - too much shaking and not enough power.

The XJ spoiled me. To all those who've thought about giving up on fixing theirs up, don't quit - the reward is sweet!

Tom B.

He's Xcesively hooked.

graybird78
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Know exactly what you mean. The first real bike I ever rode was an XS11E. Rode a bunch of different bikes since but, well if I have to explain, forget it.
      There's always a way, figure it out.
      78XS11E

Comment

Over the years I've worked up in size. First bike was a Honda CL175, then to a 200, a Honda Hawk (most miles in this bike, ahhhh memories), a 185, and so forth.
        We had a financial planner talking to SWMOB and I a while back and he was asking if there was anything we wanted , bigger house, vacation, etc. He pointedly asked me what bike I really like to have. Without thinking I told him "I already have it", my 25 year-old Yamaha.
        I recently was offered to buy another Honda Hawk and I just might. I know it's not as fast as the XS but is handles a lot better (not that the XS handles bad).
        I may buy other, different bikes but I'll still hang on to my XS.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Tom,

I have to agree that this bike can spoil you. I have been looking at a new Yamaha Roadstar 1100. I want to get another bike to ride regularly and only use the XS when I want to go fast and hard, so as to preserve the XS for as long as possible. I know the parts will become impossible to get someday. My problem is, everytime I ride something else I feel like I am going from a rocket ship to a bicyle. The only one I have tried that ran almost as good was the roadstar warrior, but I don't like the ride as much as the XS. I guess once the XS gets in your blood it's all over.
          79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
          80 XS650 Special
          85 KAW 454 LTD
          Dirty Dan

Comment

I have to agree with you
            i went from a 125 honda to a 400 yamaha enduro
            once i went to an 1100 wow
            after owning one for a few years i rode a friends 650 honda
            and it was like riding a dirt bike
            it was so light, and compared to the 11 it was gutless

and now with the motorcycle dealers not offering any thing