Cam chain cavity gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain cavity gasket

I bought the motor set gasket from Partsnmore, and the head gasket didn't have a space for the cam chain cavity gasket? Is this a refined design? Do I need to use RTV around the cavity? I read that someone had the same style gasket and used it without problems. I was wondering if anyone else had. TIA.
    Tony K.
    TonimusMaximus
    Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
    New 1978 XS11E Owner

I purchased the same set from partsnmore. It was my understanding that the newer gasket sets are made to be used without the chain cavity gasket. I put mine together without a chain cavity gasket and it's doning fine.
    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
    80 XS650 Special
    85 KAW 454 LTD
    Dirty Dan

Comment

I didn't use the PnM gaskets, but got a special larger one for the big bore, and it didn't have a chain cavity gasket either, just the head gasket, seals both in one step!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

cam chain gasket

Do Not, I repeat, Do Not use the old cam chain gasket with the new gasket set. Ok, so it was late at night and I was tired. "What, the new gasket set didn't come with this odd gasket for the middle place, what to do?" Chiltons was no help, nor was the Yamaha tech manual. So, I figured...."It must have a purpose... I'll just re-use it with the new gasket." Well... a couple of hours later, and with a little JB Weld and silicone, I managed to stop the oil leak where I cracked the cylinder when torqueing the head down. You'd figure that by now, I should have known better. At work the next day, checked the microfiche, and there at the bottom, Yamaha had a note stating that they had redesigned the gasket and to not use the old piece, as you could cause damage.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: Cam chain cavity gasket

...and of course, do not use RTV in there!!! :-)

Originally posted by TonimusMaximus
          Do I need to use RTV around the cavity?
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hi Prometheus,

Million thanks for the info ! I've seen lot of cracked cylinders !...
            Now, I know "why"
            XS 1.1 '83 German model
            XS 1100 '81
            XS 750 77 Work in progress.
            XS 500 76 Restored
            XS 250 77
            XS 360 to be restored...
            TX 750 '73
            GTS 1000
            FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

Working...