SS lines source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS lines source

I just got a 1980 XS1100. What's the best source for stainless steel brake lines, front and rear, preferably an outfit that also would have pads and master cylinder and caliper rebuild kits? I'm going to completely freshen up my brakes.

I can't find the lines listed in the catalogs for the aftermarket companies I've used for my other bikes, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Randy! The only way to go.
    Adrian

Comment

www.Partnmore.com for the rest of the stuff
      Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy112597
        Randy! The only way to go.
        Sorry...new here...don't know Randy yet. Web site?

Comment

look in the posting before yours about trouble shooting and the first response was from Randy. I just bought some brake lines from him and Its a night and day difference. Not only stopping power but attractive looking and coated in somekind of clear teflon or something to prevent rusting.
          Adrian

Comment

Not wanting to Knock Randy at all, but if you want local access, for the lines at least, you can try your local H-D dealer, the lines are standard 10mm, with 15 or 30 degree bends for the O-ring fittings, just measure, get new crush washers.

The rear line is very short, and already is over half of it's length a solid metal tube, so I don't experience any mushiness in my rear brake, and can easily lock it up, don't need much more than that.

I agree, redoing your pistons and caliper seals, however even there you may not need to replace them, just clean the calipers, and remove corrosion, crude from cylinder and caliper piston. But if Square O-ring is in good shape, you can reuse it!

Seems the more important thing is getting the lines clear of crude, the "spooge" hole in the MC, and a good bleeding. Yes, SS will definitely help the front, cause there's so much line there, and the old vinyl really expands under pressure, but you might be able to save some $$ by just cleaning the rear lines!?
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good advice on rear. Cleaning and pads might be all that's needed there. Honestly, I pretty much leave the rear alone anyhow except for heavy braking situations. I'm hard on the front, though -- the stock lines might have been fine new, but 24 years later, they need replacing.

Comment

Hey Sinter, for the money I'd go with Randy, went to the two H/D (Hardly Drivable) dealers here in Houston between the two of them they did not have the fitting's I needed. They kept asking what year and model H/D these parts were for. I kept dodging the question until I told them for a 78 Yamaha XS1100E. After that, if possible they were even less helpful, pretty much down right rude. They did tell me where a Yamaha dealer was, without my asking. I guess I didn't have on a Harley T-Shirt. They didn't have the crush washers either. Their's I believe were larger ID in inch sizes. If you say metric to them they give you weird looks. Yamaha rip off artist had washers in stock. But at least they didn't out & out laugh. See my post http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=4272.
                I will say you probably don't have to have them on the rear but what the H*&^. Make sure to follow TC's advice and you can get the caliper pistons and rebuild kit at Mike XS http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs_parts...ategory_id=1.2
                There's always a way, figure it out.
                78XS11E

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder
                  Mike XS http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs_parts...ategory_id=1.2
                  Thanks, again, for the advice and links. This is my first real street bike (*a lot* of dirt before this and still) so I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get this thing freshened up.

It's an awesome bike. I love it, but, like I said, I really don't have anything to compare it to.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, Guys.

I'm glad you like the product. Based on what I've seen and shopped around, it's an excellent quality for the price.

I'm currently running about a 3-week lead time. Strange enough, orders have heated up at the end of Summer rather than the beginning? Bizzarro XS-ives!

S/S lines for Standards OR Specials are $135. Shipping in continental US is $7.

You must identify Standard or Special with your order. I accept Paypal at this e-mail address:

theragos@ptd.net

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                      Standards OR Specials
                      Just curious, in this particular case and/or in general, when you guys say "special" or "specials" does that include the Midnight Special? And the Midnight Special has the suffix "LG" right? As in XS1100LG to refer to the 1980 Midnight Special?

Sorry if there's a FAQ somewhere about this...

Comment

That's right. As it relates to the brake lines, the Midnight and regular Specials are the same dimensions.

The only difference in the brake lines between the Standard and the Specials is that on the Specials, the Front Master Cylinder line is a few inches longer to make up for the higher handle bars.

HTH

Randy

Comment

hi for anyone whose interested,specially uk dont want to do randy out of cash,these are a budget brake hose(not stainless) they are cadmium or something braided hoses £10.00 -$17.00
                          a line www.mandp.com look stylish ,better than rubber just may not stand up to rust like the others but hey look after them and who knows
                          Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Try this on for size. 10 pounds - 17 pounds is $20. - $34. My hoses are for all four $135. That's an average of $33.75 per hose.

For the RIGHT hoses.

Those in the UK can get an even better deal because of the exchange rate!

HTH

Randy

Comment

Hey randy#$#

did you ever get the set up dimmensions for the XJ yet?Might take me some time but i do have a set on parts bike .you can have.
                              1982 XJ 1100
                              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                              X