Interesting article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article

After reading this article, I couldn't help thinking of how many things us XS owners could this application for. Can you imagine being able to order a side covers or emblems for our bikes in plastic or metal? I'd try the metal option if not too pricey and then maybe have them chromed. It could be used for tons of obsolete parts too. There has to be one of us in the bunch that would be able to use or understand this CAD program, enter dimensions and provide it to everyone else.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._manufacturing
    Adrian

I like it. They said the program isn't too hard but I didn't follow the links to find it could be fun to learn and create things with.

deo
    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
    Riding with the Son

Comment

Maybe even some custom stuff too, like a cover that goes over the passenger seat when not in use. Like the sport bikes use. I hope we could find someone that knows how to use CAD and wants to play around with this a bit.
      Adrian

Comment

I made a cowling for the passenger seat section on my Honda Hawk back in 1979 or 80 (before sportbikes were so popular).

I made the shape from cardboard then covered it (inside and out) with fiberglass. Lasted many years and was on the bike when I sold it.

Made a kayak the same way, cardboard/fiberglass. Worked ok, just stay away from rocks.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thankyou for the link!

Hey there Poorboy,

Thankyou ever so much for that link!!!! I D/L'd the program, installed it and the MP3 audio tutorial, did it, then got out the dimensions for the S.O.F.A., and designed it, set the parameters for finish, quantity, material, etc., and it is comparable if I should order a batch of 9 plates, to the price I now pay for material and local machining.

AND, they can even make the oil supply holes!! I still need to tap the center thread....they have tapping, but not in the finer machine thread we need! And I still have to make the threaded pipe.

The reason why I looked into this, is that my machinist may have to have back surgery, and will be out for 1-2 months, so I was looking at other options, and this works!! See the example 3-D diagram I made with it below!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That's awesome Topcat! I knew this program would come in handy for any application. Looks like you know what you doing too. Hope it works out for you.
            Adrian

Comment

Hey TC,

Any chance of you designing an oil cooler adapter?

'82 XJ1100J-John
              '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Working...
              X