is my wheel tube or tubeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my wheel tube or tubeless?

Hello all! I just ordered a new front tire from the bike shop and they offered to mount and balance it for free if I bring them the bare wheel. My old tire was tubeless and I thought 79specials were tubeless rims but there is a tube in there (or was). Now I'm not sure if it has to be there or not, How can I tell if my rim is tubeless or not?

Thanx in advance,
    Ron
    79 xs11 special
    85 vf500 interceptor
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Look at the stamped label markings on the rim.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

You didn't say how long you'd had the bike, but sounds like you were surprised to find a tube, so I'm assuming that it was a new acquisition!?

The P.O. might have gotten a small cut/tear/hole in the sidewall and was told by shop that they weren't allowed to fix it, so may have done the cheap fix and put a patch in tire and then the tube for second chance, vs. wasting an otherwise good amount of tread on tire!?

Unless someone swapped your rims, they should be tubeless!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes it is a newbie, and I was kinda shocked! If it is stamped on the wheel as stated earlier where would it be? I've read some previous threads about the dangers of going tubeless on a tube rim.

Thanx for the info
        Ron
        Ron Evans
        79 xs11sf

Comment

I bought tires last week (Metzler lazer/metro) and the shop fitted new tubes. His (and mine after looking) workshop manual states that tubes must be used as the aluminium rims are porous and therefore not airtight.

I also found stamped on the rims (inbetween the spokes) that tubes must be installed.

Seems to me that if unsure it's better to be safe than sorry anyway..... I'd say go with the tubes. IMHO

Comment

Ron,
            As Justyn said, it's stamped on the side of the SPOKEs, inbetween the raised edges of the spoke, in big ENGLISH letters! It will say either Tubeless or Tube.
            T.C.

P.S. I just reviewed the MicroFiche, For 78 and 79 Standards, the wheel/tire/rim descriptions just give the sizes, and we know the 78 was for Tubed. The 79 Special lists the sizes but clearly states TUBELESS.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Actually, I have both types because I'm in the process of converting from Tube to Tubeless.

The Tube rims don't have anything stamped on them except the size.

The Tubeless rims have "suitable for tubeless tire" stamped on them.

If it doesn't say tubeless, then it aint!

HTH

Randy

Comment

Yup, found it right between the raised rails on the spoke. Says "suitable for tubeless application" er something like that. The theory that the PO had a leak is likeley. The guy I bought it from didn;t have it long but somebody took good care of it! It's a little bit custom but for the price with 20k it was a STEAL!

Thanx for the advice and help all!
                Ron
                Ron Evans
                79 xs11sf

Comment

Working...
                X