6.4 Gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.4 Gas tanks

What year's will these big tanks fit? Are they just for Standards or will they work on all models?
    Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
    81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Would like to get a 6.4- you have a source??

Comment

There's a couple of the Big Tanks on ebay right now:

Black and White one (or similar to a 80SG)

Red One
      I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
      //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Big Tanks

just received a message from the guy that is selling the tanks. He say they were originally for 81 Standards but says that it is possible to modify one and put on a Special. He said you need to change handle bars for clearance and you can not use the fuel distributor.
        Dan

Comment

Big tank fitment on Special

My XS11SG came with a spare big tank as well as it's own teensy one. It awaits de-rusting and paint but a trial installation showed:-
          Yes, it fits right on and the bars (well, at least the Honda CB750 bars that my bike came with) clear. The gas taps are the Yamavacuum type and have different attachment bolt centres but having to use them does help in loosing that dumb octopus.
          The bad part is the Special seat won't fit because the seat nose hits the big tank's steeper rear slope.
          It looks like the seat could be modified & re-covered so it could fit but that's another winter project.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I do plan on bidding for one of the tanks but I'm not rich so I'm sure I'll be out-bid.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I have both large tanks (5.4 and 6.4 gallon tanks) that i have accumulated over the years. I have a 79 special that I'm restoring again and will use one of these tank to allow me a longer range of travel between fill-ups.
              The front forks hits the 6.4 gallon tank on the left side when the steering has been turned and hits its stop and there is about 1/16" on the right side when the steering stop is hit. Does not put a dent in the tank but will bearly hit the front seam.
              I got my bike in 1980 or 81 when the origional owner had the bike come out from under him after hitting a slick part of the hi-way from an earlier rain shower. Don't know if the front end had any damage to it from the wreck. Didn't look like there was any when I picked it up.
              I have no problems with the stock XS1100 SP bars hitting the tank. They get pretty close but if the bars are lined up with the fork tubes the bars work fine. You might try to find some bar risers to increase clearence.
              I have also modified the stock seat by removing foam from the front part of the pad just enough to allow the seat to fit snug against the gas tank. I really didn't need to do but decided I didn't really want to fight putting the seat on every time I needed to do some work to the bike. I am also going to extend the seats front holding tab for a more secure fit under the tank.
              Do'Lee
              XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
              (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
              (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
              (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
              SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

big &amp; bigger?

Wow! You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
                My sole experience has been with my own XS11SG and it's stupid short-range tank. It came with an additional tank the seller said was a "big tank". On reading these posts I now do not know whether this "big tank" is the Standard's 5.4 USG tank or the 6.4 USG one that my Clymer don't seem to know about.
                Apart from weighing the thing empty then full of water and throwing some arithmetic at it, is there a visual clue to tell which one I have?
                Fred Hill, S'toon.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Big Tank

Well I probably messed up posting this for all those that want a big tank but what the hey. I'll just bid and take my chances and as Fred say's I just might learn something. I am buliding a sidecar rig and thought this might be a little better than the old 3.9 special tank. I read some place these big tanks were put out as part of a package for a Standard Touring Model. Seems like a lot of history has been lost on these bikes.
                  Dan

Comment

Big Tank

P.S.
                    Fred...Try filling a Gallon jug (your choice of fluid)and pouring it in to the tank one jug at a time. (GRIN)
                    Dan

Comment

Re: big &amp; bigger?

I believe the 81 big tank had sticky-back emblems. The scallops on the sides (for knees) do not look to be as long as the 5.2 gallon tanks.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                      Apart from weighing the thing empty then full of water and throwing some arithmetic at it, is there a visual clue to tell which one I have?
                      Fred Hill, S'toon.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Smaller big tank

OK my "big" tank has the bolt-on badges so it's an ordinary Standard tank rather than a big one.
                        Thank you Skids for explaining the visual differences and thank you Dan for saving me the effort of taking the bathroom scale down to the garage.
                        Hey Dan, what kinda sidecar you building?
                        My Cal I lookalike has no space to put an auxiliary gas tank in so I carry a 2 gallon Jerrycan on the sidecar luggage rack but if you are building your own you might think of making space for an auxiliary fuel tank in it.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Big Tank

Fred,
                          I am hanging a Vetter TP on my 81 Special. I am thinking about doing the aux fuel like Bob (on the Vetter site)has on his TP.
                          Unless I can get one of those 6.4 tanks without hocking the family jewels. Heck may do both then I can ride from plumb to nearly.
                          I'll post or sent some pics when I get it a little further along.
                          Dan

Comment

SCT

Hi Dan,
                            Terraplanes are really good lookin' sidecars. This your first go-round with a rig?
                            I swapped out the tripletrees on my Special for a set from a Standard to reduce the trail for sidecar work.
                            I wrote about it here if you are interested in the details. Easy to do and really lightens the steering.
                            Let me also recommend that you join the sidecar site
                            SCT@yahoo.com
                            Lotsa good advice & mucho BS too.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I just checked out Ebay, There are three baheemuths for sale. One is a little over $50.00, the other two are at $10.00.
                              S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                              1-big XS patch
                              1-small XS/XJ patch
                              1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                              1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                              2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                              1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                              1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X