K&N jet kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N jet kit

About six months or so ago K&N was selling off their stock of Jet Kits and there were a number of posts relating to it. I picked one up but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. The kit comes with new jets and needles as well as a drill bit. It appears that you are supposed to drill the slide so that the new needle can be attached. My question for any of you who also bought this kit have already gone through the installation is what is the purpose of swapping the needles. Can I just change the jets and leave the stock needles? I'm always reluctant to make modifications that I can't undo easily in case I don't care much for the results. What is the sense of making a replacement part that doesn't fit with the original parts anyway?

Any wisdom will be more than appreciated!
    1980 XS 1100 Standard
    1980 XS 1100 Special
    1982 XJ 1100
    1972 Honda CB 350

you actually drill the hole in the bottom of the slide that is offset. Not the one on the middle. I would install the whole kit at once, as it was designed to be used. I you want to just bump the main jet a few sizes, order them from dennis kirk.
    Get a used set of carbs off ebay and modify the slides from them.
    I still have not installed my K&N jet kit, but I will get around to it someday. The bike runs so good I hate to mess with it.
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

You can't argue with THAT wisdom!

Originally posted by Bill__Woods
      The bike runs so good I hate to mess with it.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

D.P. I drilled the offset slide hole out an extra half millimetre on non-K&N kitted carbs. The result is a non-drastic change with maybe a slight increase in response when revving the motor. No big deal. If you've got a 4-1 and freeflow air filter, then fitting your K&N kit is a good idea, but you gonna still need to pull the carbs a few times to fine tune for best results though.

Comment

Working...
        X