Shaft Drive Assy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft Drive Assy

I am trying to change the final drive gear ratio of my XS750 taller and am wondering if an XS1100 drive shaft would fit and if it has a taller gear ratio.

I just went to Sturgis on my 750 and it just doesn't cruise fast enough without turning way to many RPMs.

Any help on changing the gear ratio would be helpful.

I'm not to familiar with the XS750 but were there different models? The XS1100 had a Standard and a Special. The Special had a 16" rear wheel and the Standard had a 17". That may be another way to go about it.
    Kevin
    '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
    [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

Hey there Orbit,

I tried to reply earlier this PM, but there was a glitch in the site, got a white page stating too many users or some such!?

Okay, after extensive research on the Parts Catalog, here goes.

1st, the 750's only came with 18" rear, both standard and special, which is the tallest wheel available, the 850's adopted the XS11 sizes of 17 for Standard, 16 for Special!

The final drive gears are only slightly different in ratios:
      750=32/11=2.909
      XS11=33/10=3.3 Yes, it is taller, more turns of the rear wheel for same # of turns of axle, but due to the change in numbers for entire assembly(they don't provide any numbers for just the two gears) can't tell you whether you could swap out the XS11 with your 750!? Someone posted about how the axles were quite different, but in the final drive area, they look quite similar, would be interesting to know if the Final drive section ONLY could be swapped and would fit the wheel hub!?

There was a similar thread about trying to regear the XS using parts from the 750, but was a pipe dream, however, since you have a 750, you may be in luck, IF your bike is a later model, 78E, or79 F or SF. They(Yamaha) changed the gearing in the Tranny, the Middle Drive gear and Middle Driven gear, the number of teeth on both, because in 77 they found that the gearing was too tall for their liking, making it harder to get going fast from standing stop. This info was provided by a fellow who worked at Yamaha and posted on Forum....Do Lee IIRC!!

So...if yours is the 78/79 model, which DOES has the
      Drive Gear with 30 Teeth,
      Driven Gear with 35 Teeth,

then you can get the gears from a 77 which has the
      Drive Gear with 32 teeth, # 1J7-17582-02-00 and
      Driven Gear with 34 Teeth, #1J7-W1758-01-00
      then you might be able to get some overall taller gearing for ALL the gears.

However, the later models show a slightly different bearing and circlip design so again, not sure how the older gears would fit on the shaft and in the case of the newer models!? And it looks like you would have to split the cases to put these gears in! Not an easy fix!?
      HTH, Good luck, but most likely, will have to settle for what you got, or get a bigger bike!
      Last edited by TopCatGr58; 08-17-2004, 09:29 PM.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for the reply and data. Seems like it's a major ordeal to change out the gearing. If it was only a chain drive it'd be so easy. But then the mess with the chain..... Oh well.

Comment

Working...
        X