Squeal - Whistle - Stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeal - Whistle - Stumped

Went out for a 300 mile ride yesterday. When running 80 or above there is a high pitched Squeal - Whistle. When I say 80 I mean 80 not 79. Never heard this before. Thought it may be brake calipers, not hot barely warm both sides the same heat on front. Checked middle and final gear oil, both full. Checked wheel hubs for heat in the bearing, cool. Can't tell at this speed which end of bike this is coming from. But since I hear it I think it's from the front. Motor oil level if between the marks. I also tried turning up the radio, but out to far for good reception, so I turned it off. Last maintenance done was topping off fluids and cam chain adjustment.

Bike is 78E, 50k miles on yesterdays ride, stock motor, Yamaha Vetter Fairing. Anybody think speedo gear? Speedo is showing dead on speed with no fluctuation. Have not had time to check this yet. Will also check for leak at header drop down tubes and crossover. Any help from XS land would be greatly appreciated. I found another thread about this very same problem and somebody said mice. I don't think it could be mice everybody knows they squeak. Maybe Japanese mice squeal, don't know for sure, but I know American mice squeak. My 7 year old told me that from her vast knowledge and experience watching Animal Planet that all mice squeak.
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Phantom Mice Attack

Possible wind noise generated from some portion of the fairing or your helmet.
    As a patient once said to the doctor, "when I hold my arm over my head like this, it hurts", docs reply was, "don't hold your arm over your head like that". Problem solved. Don't go over 79 mph or under 81 mph.
    If it is something serious the speed range that produces the squeel/squeak will broaden making it easier to diagnose.
    Now, turn up the radio and ride on.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

As I said in the first post 80 and above. Besides that I just gotta go faster than 79. If it was something simple say under 50 that would not be a problem.
      78XS11E

Comment

Oh yeh I checked fairing for loose and or ill fitting stuff, and there isn't any. But you got me to thinking I made a custom h4 headlight for the fairing that fits rather tight around the chrome pieces. Between the small chrome ring that clamps on the headlight and the outer chrome beauty ring. I'll check that to. Thanks
        78XS11E

Comment

I'm not sure if the 78 had the bowl vent hoses, but a mistake I made on my 79 was to plug those hoses when I went to individual filters and it caused the carbs to fload. Those hoses must remain open. It maintains some sort of atmospheric balance or some thing like that in the bowls.
          79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
          80 XS650 Special
          85 KAW 454 LTD
          Dirty Dan

Comment

speedo gear

Could you rule out the speed gear by disconnecting it and then riding to 80 MPH? You could do this by riding to 80 MPH where the noise is and noting your RPM. Then disconnect the speedo, tape it to the fork or something and then run up to the same RPM. Not scientific but It should at least rule the speedo gear out.

Tom B.

Comment

speedo

I agree, check your speedo. Thats an easy one. Inside the hub where the speedo cable connects are two gears, they should be packed with white,water resistant grease.
              Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the unrelated post earlier. I'm not sure how it got in this thread. Just got an email that siad post had been made to a thread I had posted to. That is strange?
                79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                80 XS650 Special
                85 KAW 454 LTD
                Dirty Dan

Comment

Fixed

I got industrius last week and finally put together a h4 headlight for the fairing. It went together so tight that the inner chrome ring was too tight up against the outside beauty ring (square headlight) that it whistled. Did some tweaking, bending, cussin and grinding. Wa La no more whistle. I guess my talents at metalsmithing are just to close tolerance for the xs.
                  78XS11E

Comment

Path! Are you sure? Did you look thoroughly for mice? They can be quite sneaky. Try placing some cheese on the tank and check for teeth marks just to be certain. You can never be too careful.

Comment

PPG, I would suggest Peanut butter!
                      79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                      80 XS650 Special
                      85 KAW 454 LTD
                      Dirty Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X