No announcement yet.

Ignition advance experiments, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 4-1 mac and and oil cooler. I have not changed the oil since I put it on but I think I will still have enough room to get the cover off for a filter change.

As for pulling the oil bolt and keeping oil off the header, that is another story.
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Next time you have the filter cup off, install a drain plug. It makes a filter change much cleaner. I did this and it's great. You can be draining the oil pan an the filter at the same time.

Comment

I take a 2 litre plastic bottle, cut the top and bottom off, and split it down the side, the fold/crease it into a "V" kinda like how painters make simple drawings of seagulls or birds, kinda with the ends curved down to drape over the pipes, and this makes a nice channel for the draining oil to flow down into the bucket!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Geezer asked:
          From the pic I took of your bike I can't tell if you have an oil cooler on not. Do you have oil filter clearance problems with your 4 into 1 header? I’m looking to install my oil cooler soon and the next mod I have planned is a 4 into 1 header.
          No oil filter clearence problems, no oil cooler(not needed).
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
            Geezer asked:

No oil filter clearence problems, no oil cooler(not needed).
            I guess that makes the decision on which of my XS11's to put the oil cooler on easier (or not...)

Tony
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

On the subject of ignition, I’ve been working on a neighbor’s 79 Standard (the bike I wish I hadn't sold) and he was having intermittent ignition problems. When I pulled the timing cover I found a poor repair on the pick up coils. Having been working on distributors on cars lately, this lead to a flash of inspiration on how to fix this problem. The one coil has the wires bent backward in a rather odd fashion so when I repaired it I wound the wires for that one coil all the way around and that left me with a large radius bend on the wires. This larger radius should stop the wire breakage all together. Like others have done, I disposed of the bottom wire anchor. I had to use 3 small wiring ties to keep the wires off the vacuum pull arm. I’ll post picture if anybody is interested.

I’ve been meaning to check and probably retard the ignition on the Mongrel lately. It’s been detonating on full throttle when climbing hills and I’m going to do it’s pick up coil wires the same way while I’m in there.

I still haven’t found an auto pick up coil that will work on the XS11 but I’ve found a few that are close enough to keep me on the project.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
              X