rebuild questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild questions

Working on my special and having a tough time getting the gear oil plugs out. Bike was stored for 15 years so alot of things are tight, been using WD 40, tapping the plug etc. Every day a try again for a few minutes and it feels like I am close to stripping either the allen head or the ratchet gears. Any suggestions?

Also, I dropped the tank off at a local radiator shop for acidizing and lining. The guy warned me that they were not responsible if acid damages the paint. Anyone else get this warning, or do I live in an area with too many lawyers?
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

I think the gearbox plugs are a common problem. I stripped mine out too, and had to kill it with a visegrip. The good news is Yamaha dealers can still order them for you.
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Whenever I have to work on a really tight allen bolt, I put a little valve lapping compound in the head of the bolt. This gives the allen wrench a better grip. Also try a hand impact instead of a ratchet. They aren't expensive and they come in very handy.
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I got mine loose the first time by using a pair of long-handled pliers with fresh, sharp teeth. Yes, it kind of chewed the bolt a bit, but at least they came out. When you go to put them back in, use a dab of anti-seize compound, a fresh crush washer, and don't use gorilla force to crank it on. BTW - the washer off an old sparkplug will fit as a new crush washer, as long as those weren't installed by a gorilla too!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

If you live in the western hemisphere, then you live in an area where there are too many lawyers.
          '81H
          '77 GS750
          '80 ATC 200
          '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Swing a steel pipe off the allen key.

Comment

Did it
              Finally gave up being Mr nice guy and knowing that craftsman has a replacement policy I had at it. Big bang and I am sitting on my butt thinking something just broke, but no broken ratchet, no stripped plug. Thanks for the tips, and I am using an spark plug washer on these.
              I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Working...
              X