Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do the exhaust 'gaskets' look like for the XS11??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do the exhaust 'gaskets' look like for the XS11??

'goin' from Calif, through Nevada, into N.AZ (Jacob's lake/east rim of the Grand Canyon) the 1st part of Sept and 'am putting a 'stock 4-2 exhaust system' on my '80XS11SG (4-into-1/Kerker TOO loud for night time driving) and was reading the shop manual... it mentions 'exhaust gaskets' - I called the local Yamaha dealer and they said they could order them but it would be a week or two before they got them in... does anyone know ANY other place to go to get these?? and WHAT do they look like? Anybody have a photo of them? ...could you send an e-mail with digital attached? ...sorry, but I love SEEING, and KNOWING exactly what I'm getting into

eMail add: RonATunclespotDOTcom

1980 XS1100SG

sorry

sorry can't help with how they look,But do need to know if you want to get rid of that kerker exhaust system? I can be reached through this site pm or at chevy45412001@yahoo.com ..
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

no, I don't want to sell the Kerker right now... I'll post about the trip when I get back, and after putting ~2,000 miles on the 'stock exhaust' maybe I'll have changed my mind...(?) I just want something a bit quieter going into other states -'don't want TOO much attention drawn to me - the bike *IS* fast and I like riding it that way... , and I'll be doing a LOT of riding at night - MUCH cooler through the desert areas IME.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

The gasket is about 2.5mm thick and is the same inner/outer diameter as the end of the exhaust that meets the head. It's simply a crush gasket to create that seal. I got mine with a whole motor kit from Parts'n'more, but check eBay. I've seen them there before.
        Tony K.
        TonimusMaximus
        Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
        New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Exhaust gaskets - beware

Take care what exhaust gaskets you get.

My KZ1000 is happy with those copper ring crush gaskets that every bike shop seems to carry.

I tried to match up the size once (many moons ago) for the XS1100 so that I could put things together quickly before a trip somewhere..... BAD idea.

The copper gaskets didn't work at all and started blowing really badly after about 100 miles.

The ones to use are those that have a silver metallic inner and outer ring with heat resistant 'wadding' of some sort spiralled between them. They don't crush too much (as you can see when you next take the exhaust headers off again)... but seem pretty effective.

I often smear a little "firegum" exhaust paste on the exhaust port in the head too...if nothing else you can stick the gasket to it so that they don't keep falling ou when you fit it all back together.
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

Hi,

As say UK 1.1, it's a kind of "snail" or spiralled gasket. the heat resistant part look like asbestos (white)
            the Yamaha reference is : 341-14613-00 (is also used on the TX 750 twin)
            I can make a picture tonight and send it to you.
            If you wish, I'll give you the dimensions but in mm : here, we are not familiar with inches
            Just send me a small E-mail; so i'll get your E-mail adress

Mine is : xs1100@voila.fr

Patrick
            XS 1.1 '83 German model
            XS 1100 '81
            XS 750 77 Work in progress.
            XS 500 76 Restored
            XS 250 77
            XS 360 to be restored...
            TX 750 '73
            GTS 1000
            FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

Look em up here!

I just checked parts n more and they list em. 4 for $4.00. I have em on my bike now, never used to have them at all for years prior to finding em there. Parts n more
              Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                X