Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just changed my 80XS11SG 85mph speedo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just changed my 80XS11SG 85mph speedo...

...for a XS750 (140mph) speedo. After initial testing I find the mph reading is MUCH more accurate, and NOW I know exactly how fast I'm going OVER 85

'found it on eBay for ~$20. the original tripmeter wasn't working so this was a 'good change'...

1980 XS1100SG

Speedometer

Hi Spot,
    I thought you could only use the XS11 speedo's But then I am still learning. I wonder if the 78 and 79 are both a straight bolt up for the 80 and 81 Specials? Or as you have found out the xs750 will work as well and I suppose it will hook up on all the Specials. Correct?
    Dan
    Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
    81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

Dan,
      from the back I could NOT tell the difference b/w the '79 XS750 and my '80XS11SG. 2 light bulbs, 2 wires, 1 speedo cable mount, 2 mounting studs - the ONLY difference was the 'dial face'. Apparently it was the same internal 'ratio' for correct speed indication. 'took it out and used some mileage markers to roughly check it out. It seemed a LOT more accurate, at 30, 40, 50 and 70mph, and I used the tripmeter on a 4 mile course that I run occasionally - it read exactly 4 miles when I pulled into the garage.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
      X