Shim for front axel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shim for front axel

I replaced the brakes on the front of my '81 SH and couldn't get the left rotor in the middle of the cut out in the fork tube. My manual says to tighten the nut on the axel and then adjust the right side rotor so it is in the middle of the cut out of the fork tube caliper bracket then tighten the pinch bolt/nut. It doesn't say anything about the left side alignment.

I thought it was probably just as important to align the left one, but there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust it. I made a shim from a shim with a 5/8" hole in it. I enlarged the hole so it would fit over the shoulder of the axel and put it between the speedometer drive and the fork tube. My rotor is now aligned but I wonder if anyone else has had a problem like this or if I have screwed this up somehow.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Do you have a fork brace? Take it off first, then mount the wheel, then replace the fork brace. Might be a little tension on your forks. Mount brakes, then wheel, then brace.

I just did this last week, took off the front wheel. I aligned the disc in the middle of the left brake caliper first, then tightened pinch bolt. Then I replaced the fork brace. Worked fine. Clymer's has the procedure.

I don't take the wheel off when I just replace the pads, just take the calipers off.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

See this thread
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=alignment
      There's always a way, figure it out.
      78XS11E

Comment

I took the fork brace loose and even the bolts holding the fender, but I still couldn't get it to line up on the left side.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
        X