Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubed speedo cable - still slow speedo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubed speedo cable - still slow speedo...

I removed the speedo cable for some maintenance after being tired of the speedo sticking at about 30mph. I de-gunked the inner cable so it was lubed and smooth, reassembled, still have the same problem. What do I check now?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

You may need to pull apart the speedo drive on the left side of the front axle. If the 'fingers' that engage the front wheel have been broken or bent, you may not be getting a proper drive to the cable. It might only be getting the friction between the drive unit and the wheel, and this could cause it to only read to a certain speed when the friction is no longer able to keep up. Have you had the front wheel off lately?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I had the tire off about a month ago. The speedo did not work then, either. I could do an inspection on the gear. Sounds like it's got to be something there. With the bike on the center stand I jacked the front tire up an inch so I could easily turn it. Then I removed the cable from the guage. I checked the inner cable operation this way and it is fine. Bad guage?

Ben

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

With the cable disconnected from the drive unit at the front wheel, you could try carefully spinning the cable with an electric drill to see if you can get it to register more than 30mph that way. If it spins up okay this way, the problem is with the drive unit, not the speedo itself - possible broken off ears or ??
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Good idea... I forgot about the drill trick.

Ben

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I had the " slow speedo " problem with MIYAMI a couple of years ago. I pulled the drive unit from the front wheel, Cleaned it up really well with carb cleaner, Lubed her up really good with grease and had the same problem, Slow. I pulled it back apart, cleaned it up agian, Tried a lighter grade grease and, still slow, Pulled everything agian, cleaned her up and took a bit of 80/90 wt, mixed that with a dab of lithium grease and created a very thin grease. Gave the guts a light coating, reassembled and havn't had another problem. This may not be the case with yours but it worked for me.
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X