Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain case

Broke the second one this year!!!!

My dealer says I have to wait six to 8 weeks as they are on back order.

Got some feelers out to salvage places. Any one have any idea where I can get on ASAP. I only have about five weeks of riding left

Teck
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

If you are talking about the cylinder head cover as identified as part #18 in this microfiche view , I have a spare I could loan you. I'm in Revelstoke, so I could put it on Greyhound tomorrow, you would probaly have it by Monday. Drop me a PM with your address, etc......

BTW - how did you manage to break these??
    Ken Talbot

Comment

cam chain case

Hi Ken

I'm in Red Deer, Alberta. But it's not the cam chain cover it's the cam chain tensioner case. The small thing in front of the bike that the tension bolt goes through that rests on the cam chain.

Got one of those kicking around?

Teck
      Tim Lowe
      "Teck"
      1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Broken cam chain cases

The first one had a small crack that went undetected until I fired the bike up the first time after rebuilding the top end. Shot the cam chain bolt clear across my garage, dislodged the cam chain and did significant damage to the intake valves.

The second break occured after I re shimed the valves. Pulled the cam chain tensioner unit off to check the chain as the bike was making odd click, click sound. Fixed that problem by slowly rotating the engin by hand and placing pressure on the chain with my finger. (I thing the back and forth movement when re-shiming caused the chain to bind some how). Also the bolt was slightly back from a deployed positon and didn't weem to want to move with out assistance.

Put every thing together and started nicely, ran really well. Noticed a bit of oil leaking from the cam chain tensioner. Your all going to have to piture this to believe it. I was bent at the knees on my tip toe. Place the socket wrench on the bolt tighten down slightly, my right toe slipped out from under me and the wrench went down. herd a crack and noticed a lot more oil pouring on to my garage floor.
        Tim Lowe
        "Teck"
        1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Either you have one very worn cam chain and/or guides, or your ignition timing is not correct. When I first started the F I got last winter, it kicked back and jumped one tooth on the exhaust cam. I checked timing, and it was right on. The second time it did that, I made a TDC finder from a spark plug, and the pointer was about 5-6 degrees off. Then I re-set everything, now it runs much better and starts better and never kicks back. Take a spark plug, grind off the electrode, break out all the stuff inside, break the top end off the plug, and run a 1/8 drill bit all the way through what is left. Then take about four inches of coat hanger wire, put a bend or loop in it, turn your engine to TDC, put the altered plug in the left hand plug hole in the head. Put the wire in the hole you drilled in the plug, and put your finger on top of the wire. Put a 19 mm or 3/4 wrench on the timing end of the crankshaft, and gently rotate until the wire starts to go down. SLOWLY and gently turn the crank backwards till the wire goes down again.Half way between these two points is TDC. Check that the pointer is aligned with 0 degrees. If not, set it that way, check timing, and adjust as necessary. If the cam tensioner breaks again, then you need a cam chain and/or guides
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Rover,

Thanks for the heads up on the TDC checker. I'll make one tomorrow.
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
            1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
            2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
            1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
            2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
            X