DAMN cam chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAMN cam chain

OK ,so i got the new chain around the crank tied together now what!Can't seem to get it around the crank sprocket! Any tips or tricks. This is not the way to go around this,i knew i should have taken out the cams.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Is it slipping on the crank sprocket or is it jammed or is it lost?

Just a couple days ago when I replaced the head, the chain kept slipping on the crank sprocket. What I did was put a little tension on the chain by putting my finger through the tensioner hole and then pushing on the plastic guide. Then I think I wiggled the crank a little bit back and forth. It finally caught. Then make 100% sure that its timed right after you move that crank that little bit.
    Kevin
    '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
    [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

slipper

its just off the side of crank sprok. i have it rivited together temp.just cant seem to get it to catch on crank and engauge.i'll give the bump the crank a try.
      1982 XJ 1100

Comment

not sure moving the crank will help. You MIGHT have to take a cam out to get enought slack in the chain to get it on the sprocket. Or take out the link and tie up both ends. Get slack in the chain and work it back on the sprocket. I don't think that there will be enough slack in the chain the way you have it right now to get it over the sprocket teeth.

Too bad you just couldn't take a cam sprocket off. But to do that you would have to turn the cam.
        Kevin
        '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
        [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

Save yourself some grief and take the cams out. Then time them and your on the road.
          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Save yourself some grief and take the cams out. Tie the new chain onto the old chain. Spin the chain around with the starter. Then time the cams. Adjust it by going past the "C" mark, loosen the cam adjust bolt. As you rotate the engine back to the "C" mark have someone GENTLY tighten the cam adjust bolt as you line back up with the "C" mark. This is the Braden Thro method and it works the best. Then your on the road. Be sure you check it every 2,000 miles.
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

DONE

all good thanks guys. Removed intake cam,got it all buttoned ,just cam cover left.I had a post on this long time ago.Thats what i was going to do remove both cams attach chains together spin crank pin new chain bata bing done. Just read the recent thread on subject figured i'd try it, just not my luck thats all.Again thanks for the insight.I'll let ya'll know in a few how it went...lol
              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

motor purrrrrss

and oil flowwwwwwssssss right out the cam cover,oh well i guess i didn't give it the ole tripple clean...lol,at least my boat runs,so now i'm goin fishin instead.
                1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Cover gasket sucks

pulled the cam cover the next day,dang what a horse $hit gasket ripped right in three. Went ahead and used rtv gold,let it set up screwed her back down no leaks...whew. I've got 2-3 hundred miles since looks good so far no leak and very quite.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Well. congratulations. Now you don't have to worry about reaching the tensioner limit for a while...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                    X