No announcement yet.

Primary Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have already replaced the original chain with one that has less slack. I don't really plan on doing anymore at this time. I'll just ride until it starts slapping the case, then I will replace it again.
    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
    80 XS650 Special
    85 KAW 454 LTD
    Dirty Dan

Comment

If I remember correctly, the sound you hear is like a metalic chuck chuck chuck sound at idle?
      That's exactly what I'm hearing. Thanks for the info....I think I'll leave it alone!
      '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

That's exactly what I'm hearing. Thanks for the info....I think I'll leave it alone!

Yep, it is the primary chain (well more like a metal belt). Sometimes when hot, it will lightly slap on the bottom of the case. Very normal, and nothing to worry about. Of course, one can go crazy tracking every sound on these 25+ year old monsters, but I think the simple fact is, they just make noise... I'd just make sure the noise is NOT coming from the cam Chain. That is something needing regular adjustment and attention.
        Steve Pratel
        1979 XS 110SF "Visitation"
        1977 XS 650 "Bulldog"
        2002 Saab 9-3
        1982 Saab 900 APC Turbo

Comment

Bob at Merriam Cycle adjusted the cam chain on this beast, so I'm going with the primary chain! Not only do I get expert advice from this forum, I get peace of mind too!
          '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

Working...
          X