Kerker 4:1's blow and I'm not talkin' exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerker 4:1's blow and I'm not talkin' exhaust

Seriously, who engineered these sacs of garbage?
    I can't believe how little emphasis was put into how the headers tie together and where it leads down the underside of the frame.
    There is no feasable way to change the oil, let alone the filter, without dumping oil all over the headers. Furthermore, the middle gear drainplug is all but inaccessable. Since you should be changing your gear oil just about every, or every other, time you change the engine oil, it seems like removing the exhaust system every time you'd wish to do so is nothing short of retarded (no offense to our retarded XS riders).
    Oh, what I wouldn't do for a stock exhaust system on my 79XS1100SF.
    Damn you Kerker and your imbicillic engineering team. Damn you all to H-E-double hockey sticks.
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

The gear oil only needs changing once a year. I use synthetic gear oil, and after a year it still looks fine. I kinda forgot to gange my final drive oil for over two years, and it still looked good. The only gripe I have with the syn oil is that it will migrate up the threads of the fill plug, and past the plug gasket, and leave an oily area around the filler. Try a Jardine 4-2 system. Filter is wide open, and the crossed pipes looks cool.

Comment

Jardine 4:2

Any information on where I could pick a set of these up and ballpark on how much I'd be having to spend for them?

Comment

Check out Dennis Kirk,

They have several sets from Jardine and MAC, both 4-1 and 4-2.

Last year's price for the Jardine 4-2 was $540.99!
        Jardine 4-1 black pipes with chrome muffler $341.99,
        all chrome= $414.99.

Mac black header/chrome megaphone ONLY type/combo=$324.99
        Mac 4-2 all chrome either turnout, or taper tip= $324.99.

All designs from both boast keeping all access to filter, drain plugs, center stand!
        T.C.
        Still running an old solid black 4-1 Generic Mac from JCW 10+years ago, they(JCW) no longer sell them!!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Supertrap

I don't know who makes or sells the "Suppertrap" 4 into 1 but I have one installed on my 78 and it provides clearance to all the oil holes.
          Dan
          Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
          81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

MAC Chrome 4-1

I bought these and put them on. It looks a little difficult getting the oil filter cover off but I might still be able to without taking off the headers. The space between the header pipe for 2-3 look wide enough to pull the oil filter cover through. Of course when I pull the drain bolt, I will get some oil on the pipe, but it should clean off pretty easy.

Only problem I am having with them is some blueing on on cylinder 3 and 4. Don't know if it is related to the type of pipe or the engine is running too hot on that side.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/det...uct_id=04-0301

The price was good. I don't remember the shipping charges but the whole thing was under $300. The picture on the page looks just like what they look like. Compared to the dented headers with the pinhole and almost wide open exhaust the the PO had on this bike, it is much quieter now.
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

p.s.

If anyone is considering getting rid of an exhaust system for a 79XS1100SF (Special)...
              ...PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Comment

Re: MAC Chrome 4-1

Originally posted by thumperjsa
                Only problem I am having with them is some blueing on on cylinder 3 and 4. Don't know if it is related to the type of pipe or the engine is running too hot on that side.
                This is normal for Mac. I was told the factory pipe won't blue because it is a double wall pipe, and Mac is only a single wall.
                Brian
                1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                remembering the same thing!

Comment

There's a stock set of special pipes on ebay. There at 200 bucks so far.
                  Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
                  2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

kerker

Hey buick. If you ever decide to get rid of that kerker let me know. I've been searching for one for a while now.I don't mind dropping exhaust to change filteractualy keeps the exhaust header bolts from getting stuck on like iv'e seen when you don't remove the stock version for some time.
                    1982 XJ 1100
                    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Re: Kerker 4:1's blow and I'm not talkin' exhaust

Originally posted by buickyouth
                      There is no feasable way to change the oil, let alone the filter, without dumping oil all over the headers. Furthermore, the middle gear drainplug is all but inaccessable.
                      I thought Kerkers were supposed to be among the better exhausts for our bikes. My headers are close under the filter but I can remove it ok (I do put tin foil around the headers to keep off any oil that spills). Do you say that you cannot remove your filter? I might be interested in them if Chevy doesn't get them (I thought XJ's took different pipes than XS's).
                      Robert
                      79 SF

Comment

kerker

the kerker pipes run right under the oil filter ,doesnt matter xs or xj because they ran right under the motor,until bout half the distance then exit the right side of bike.I just loved the sound of my kerk with no baffles.Sounded like a big block chevy...lol.Deep and throaty and pretty loud,just the way i like it.
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                        X