A few more questions to tidy up some problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more questions to tidy up some problems

I have a couple of question that I was wondering if you could help me with.

1. Compression

Testing cold, with open throttle I get a reading of 145,150,145,145. After running till operating temp I get 135 across all Cylinders. Is this normal?

2. I've put on about 3000 k since I got the bike running. With just me I can ride for hours and use little to no oil. Put my wife or daughter on and run for the same amount of time I tend to use oil, some times I think a lot. (1/2 liter per 200 to 300 K). I have upgraded the oil from 10w30 to 20w50. I seem to use more of the 20w50. Any ideas? is this normal?

3. I have just finished re shimming the valves. I had valve work done causing the stems to push on the cam leaving me with no compression. I re shimmed to spec in the book and to get rid of the clattering sound. I had a couple that were to small.

4. Still having trouble with 3000 RPM hesitation. Put the carbs back on the sync and all appears to be good. Any ideas what I should be checking for next?
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

Some answers?

Teck.....Just a few thoughts from an amature.....

1. The compression cold does not generally reflect numbers of any real value. You would usually only use those as a rule of thumb if you are ruling out problems if you can not get your bike started......Other than that, your 135 PSI is very impressive and sounds like you will be good for quite some time....

2. As far as the hessitation at 3,000 RPM's, I am having a similar problem. However, mine is not so much a hessitation problem as much as it is a flooding problem. At 3000 (about 5 % of the time) mine will just get real bogged down and will all of the sudden snap out of it at 4000 and want to take off on me. I do not know if this is the type of problem that you are having or not, but my problem has already been determined to be a float bowl problem. When my bike does this, too much fuel has been allowed into the float bowl which flood my engine for a short period of time and then it is fine. If you have had any gas seapage problems when the bike is off (with the petcocks on), this might be your problem...Just a thought though.....

3. As far as your other questions, I will let somebody else field them because I am not as comfortable giving my opinion about them....I generally only try to answer when I actually feel that I might be of some help....

Good luck
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH

Comment

Working...
    X