hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoses

Geez guys i have the main lines hooked up gas and vaccum lines. I have the breather hose that seems irrelevant and and another line that has a sloped line in it like it was some kind of a vent or drain. It also seems irrelevant.

On my 80 xs 1 and 4 vaccum lines are capped of, hoses run to 2 and 3. Fuel lines split 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 to the carbs. Think i got the breather hose hooked up right ran it to the middle of the air box. What the heck does this do? Manual says check for breaks or leaks. Tell me what the breather hose does? I have another hose, not so important it seems, couldn't tell ya where it goes. Maybe one of you all know guys might have a happy little place for it. Beer gets me side tracked once in awhile

Comment

OK, here we go....
      2 vacuum hoses for petcocks to open when engine is running, go from #2 and #3 carb boots to the petcocks.

1 vacuum hose goes from #2 front carb body to the vacuum advance unit under the left engine side cover.

2 fuel lines go from petcocks to carbs, between #1 and #2 and the second one between #3 and #4

2 vent hoses are just above the fuel lines on the carbs and go to the airbox, the small nipples behind the carbs.

1 vent hose goes from the back of the engine (behind middle drive) to the top of the airbox, this is the fat one. It relieves the pressure of the engine, as the air moves quite rapidly in there when it's running. Try pulling it off and start the engine, place your hand there and you will see why it's there.

Don't plug any of these hoses. Route the vent hoses to the airbox, or if you don't have an airbox, put some filters on the ends.

LP

PS: 78E has this hoses routing and stuff... dunno bout later models with YICS or octopuses and stuff....
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

hoses

Theres another small hose by the middle gear box. Does that go in the bottom middle of the air box(breather hose not the fat hose) hehe. There looks to be a rectangle slot that it fits into. I still dont know the purpose of this hose. Gotta ya Strom on everything else. TY

Comment

drain hose

` drain hose in case your gas runneth over.................MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I have to check. I believe on my 80 G that the hoses for the vacuum for the petcocks are running to the outside intakes (1 and 4). Is this correct or does it matter if it goes to 1 and 4 or 2 and 3?
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Doesnt matter where petcock vacuum hoses connect to. Can be 1&4 too. Default is 2&3.

The small hose that is on the crankcase back is a middle drive vent... I think... goes thru the guides on the middle of the frame (square thingies).
              Gas tank drain goes there too. Gas cap can accumulate some water during the rain and it has to go somewhere, so its routed to the nipple on the gas tank in front of the seat. Route it thru a holder on the turn signal cancellation unit, then those square holders.
              Route your battery vent hose there too, if any.
              Hope you know where your brake hoses go.

LP

Comment

BTW: I thaught that gas and battery acid make a nice fire. How come the hoses dangle down there together?

LP

Comment

So you can BURN RUBBER, silly!!!

Strom's right, that little vent hose from the middle gear chamber actually doesn't connect to anything, it's supposed to be suspended up under the tank on a bracket on the frame!

The big hose is the "Positive Crankcase Ventillation" hose, you've heard of a PVC valve on a car haven't you!? Gas blow by fumes are routed there and with it connected to the airbox get recycled and hopefully burned, reducing raw gas fumes emmissions.

Well, Griff, sounds like you're finally "Hosed"!!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X