crank case breather hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank case breather hose

Another silly question. Where does the crank case breather hose go Dohhh.....?

Breathing

Hi Griff,

Breather hose connects on that stub on a small cover on the top of the gearbox part of the engine cases (underneath the carbs) - to (on my '82 engine) to another stub in the forward face at the top of the airbox...
    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
    Guzzi 850
    Z1000

Comment

breather hose

kk got it on the case. Looking for it on the air box?

Comment

breather hose

Does it go right in the middle of the air box?

Comment

Airbox fitting

Griff - on the forward facing side of the airbox - the same side that the carb inlet rubbers come out of there should be a little stub - the same size as the engine case one, but moulded in the plastic airbox body.

On my bike the kinked airhose is shaped to feed right to it - so if you have the original hose surviving then it'll give you a clue as to the right place. Shouldn't be any other stubs with holes in the box on that side.

Some models (early bikes?) didn't have the feedback into the airbox I don't think - so if you have an early airbox you may be struggling. Reason for it going there is to feed any oil mist into the bikes system again should it come out of the crankcases. This I presume will get burnt in the combustion and go out through the exhaust.

If you are having a big problem here you could either run a longer hose out the back of the engine and down towards the ground - venting anything towards the floor....... OR put on a small gauze filter which will allow the engine to breath....DO NOT plug up the hole in anyway. The Gauze filters are a little like mini K&N air filters that come in a variety of shapes to fit. My old '77 KZ1000 carries one of these and it looks quite good too.
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

One problem I ran into after hooking up this hose to the airbox (disconnected by PO) was there seemed to be too much blow by gasses comeing through and when the engine warmed up, it would bog down the engine. I decided then the put a short piece of hose and connect it to a chrome capped breather element. I have though about running it to the back of the bike to keep the smell a little more off of me.

When the compression gets down to closer to 100 psi on a couple of cylinders, I guess that is something to expect. I feel like holding off on a cylinder rebuild until bike starts to run rough. Until then, it still has lots of power.

I do need to get to adjusting the valves though. Now that I have read enough on how to do it, all I need to do is pick up the valve tool. I know my clearances are a bit off because after I first got the bike, I had a valve cover leak. I pulled out my guage and some of the clearances were too tight. don't remember what they were but I don't think I could get a .10 through. I did not feel enough confidence at the time to do this nor do I have the money to bring it to a shop to get it done. Now that it is rainy season in South Florida for the next month or so, I probably will take this as a good time to start on it.
            Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Hey Thumper,

I know I posted a message a short while back in response to someone about the valve tool, and a diagram for making your own that was done by ROVER, do a search for valve tool diagram, and you should find the link!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X