79 special questions - reviving a beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 special questions - reviving a beauty

Well, I got another one, i picked up a 79 special to add to the 78 standard. I have a few questions for those that have been down this path already. I tried searching for the forums but could not seem to set up good searcehs

Chrome?!? this model is way more shiny than the standard, it is really in good shape but there is pitting on the cam cover and lower front forks. When I cleaned it the chrome seems really thin, almost like paint so I am wondering if others have seen this and if removal and rechroming is the only good long term answer?

Vacuum hose size, does anyone know what the real size all of the vacuum hose is on these carbs? And if it works to get a long length and cut to suit? I replace the ones on the 78 with some standard vacuum hose, and it was OK but not perfect. There is a lot more on the 79 and I want it to work OK.

Air box inlet. My 78 was already converted to 4 cone filters so I did not see the air box. The air enters through something I will call an elephant trunk from the top, from the bottom there are 10 1/4" holes in a 2 by 5 pattern. Is this a common modification that others have done, or is this really odd. The main jets are 137.5 which I think are stock? Will put these back in to see how engine runs, but will likely get a K&N to replace the wire screen I have, the paper rotted out. Anyone with similar combination have any thought on jet size or needle position.

The tires are orginal as there is less than 8000 miles on the bike but I will be replacing them. Any comments on how white walls look on these? Should I go with a little fatter tire? Open for comments?

Thanks in advance. I know that last year when I was doing the 78 this forum was a great help. The second job is going better with what I learned, but these machines are different in a lot of subtle ways so advice and opinions are gratefully accepted.

Scott
    I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Congrats on your Special.

I can't help with the chrome, mine were all aluminum and black painted!! What you may be referring to is the clear coat!! Especially with regards to the lower fork tubes. AFAIK, they are/were just aluminum, not chromed, but many folks have shined theirs up so well, that it almost looks like chrome! Aluminum will pit and corrode, but not rust, chrome will rust underneath.

Most of those hoses you see are not vacuum hoses but fuel supply hoses, 1/4" diameter fitting size. The vacuum hoses are also 1/4" ID. There's actually only 2 vacuum hoses, one from #2 carb nipple to vacuum advance, and a second one probably from #2 intake nipple to Octopus! You will have the two vent hoses from the carbs going to the airbox. The rest is the Octopus mess of fuel hoses from petcocks to Octy and then to carbs!

Some people have drilled out the bottom of their airbox to increase the ease in which it can get air into/thru the filter vs. that little snorkel hose that comes out under the tank/seat. With the stock box and stock pipes, you probably won't need to worry about rejetting!?

I have put a 140/90/16 Dunlop Elite II on my rear vs. the stock 130/90/16, just barely fits, get black wall, the raised white letters rubbed!!! That's about as fat as you can go! The only white walls I've seen are those antique looking ones where almost the entire sidewall is a whitewall....yuck.....old harley stuff!!!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Top cat, thanks for the info. Still confused so I will reask.
      On the vent and fuel lines can you use use 1/4" line and cut to length? This is what I did on the 78 but the routing was a lot simpler and did not have so many bends.
      Are these ten 1/4" diameter holes on the bottom of the air box normal or is the bottom usually solid? The holes are opposite of where the elephant trunk comes in from the top.
      thanks
      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Hello again RS,

Yes, you can cut to length, but you'll want to make sure you use FUEL line for the fuel lines, not just vacuum line, or it will break down, harden, crack, etc. with fuel running thru them!?

I thought I said that the holes were DRILLED in by folks into their boxes, they normally are sealed up so that the only way air gets into it is thru the snorkel alone, but folks felt this was too restrictive and so they wanted to allow air to flow into it easier. Knowledgable ones made sure the holes were on the outer zone of the box and the mating surface of the filter so that the air would still go thru the filter before going into the engine. If the holes were drilled within the edge of the filter, then the air is going to the engine UNFILTERED=BAD!!!!

Hope that clarifies things, have fun !!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X