Vibration and missing carb boot bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration and missing carb boot bolts

...rode into the shop this morning and noticed a black bolt on the engine case when I parked the bike - actually TWO bolts. ...after inspection of 'where it could come from' I noticed 2 missing bolts from the (top) carb boots on # 2 and # 3 were *not* there (going into the engine, holding the boot there)...

...sooo; question: does one have to take off the seat and tank to get access to tighten these bolts down, or is there a 'trick' to it? ...after I close the shop tonight these definitely have to be reinstalled and tightened. I was thinking about 'Lock Tite'

1980 XS1100SG

Unless you have very small hands, you will need to pop up the back of the tank to get to those bolts. Depending on how long your gas lines are, you may or may not have to take those off to get the tank high enough to get access. While you have your tools out to tighten those bolts, taking off one more to pop up the tank shouldn't be much of a hassle. Of course, if you have an XS you will have 2 more bolts to remove to get the seat off first.

-Justin

Comment

Working...
    X