Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I should, but...

Hey guys!

So, this guy I know has an 80 SG (like mine) he's been trying to make run, and is giving up on it. He's trying to sell it to me as a parts bike ($200). I looked at it with him, and it's obviously a great deal. Everything's there, though I think he'll probably steal the emblems off it first. It seems to be a carb problem that's got him frustrated. He can spray ether in the carbs (with airbox off) and the bike runs fine til the ether runs out, but it will not run from the gas lines. He said he's had the carburetors out and cleaned 3 times now, but the same problem. Do you think it's probably still just dirty carbs? Clogged jets or something?

Either way I'm going to buy it. I can always use the spare parts, but I was wondering if it's something fairly simple I can fix and have another running bike? The only other things wrong with it are it needs rubber, and fork seals (and probably springs).

Ideas?

Thanks

Eric
    Nothing like a ride on a straight 4.

Or toying with death on my 1983 Maico 490 Spider. Only fractured 3 bones so far.

Take it!

If you don't want it, let us know where it is. I'm sure that one of us could find a home for it!
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Could be he has the gas lines hooked up wrong...prime, run, octopus...that mess...
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Lose the octopus!

Hi Eric,
        you don't need no steenkin' badges.
        Bondo over the holes & dents where the emblems were, repaint & put $4.50 aftermarket tuning fork stickers on.
        Betcha if you lost the octopus, blanked off the vacuum connections and the gas taps' "prime" ports then ran the rightside carbs from the leftside tap thru an external filter & vice-versa the fuel supply problem would disappear.
        OTOH if you decide to break it & it's got a decent seat, let me know?
        Fred Hill, S'toon.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you give me $10 I'll haul it away for you.

Randy

Comment

I'd give him the $$$, Lift the tank in his driveway, unkink the fuel lines, lower tank, install seat, ride it home.
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X