rattling noise around 3000-3500 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattling noise around 3000-3500 RPM

I get a "rattling" noise near 3K-3500K rpm on my 82 XJ. It almost sounds like two pieces of metal rattling into eachother. I don't notice when in neutral and revved to 3500, only when in gear.

Tom B.

Rattle noise

Have you adjusted your cam chain lately? At least that would eliminate one possibility and can't hurt.(if you do it properly)
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Exhust

Broken or loose baffeles in the exhust? Heat sheild loose? Loose manifold nuts on header or broken stud worth checking. .................MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Tom, I have a similar noise in my '81 Special. I just installed a new timing chain yesterday and should get it back on the road today. I don't see how the new chain can fix it because the old one wasn't much longer than the new one, but I will let you know.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

same noise here

My XJ is maxed out on the chain also when i let off the throttle the noise is the worst,Have'nt even been riding it ,don't want to skip a tooth and wreck stuff(bend valve ,piston etc.)
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Just do it! I tried to make the timing chain R&R tough, but it still turned out OK. Just follow the directions in the Maintenance section and you won't have any problems.

Here are my humble suggestions for changing your timing chain:

1. Don't pull the cams -- you can feed the new chain through without a problem with the cams in place. This was suprisingly easy to do. Remember to secure the ends of the chain to the bike so you don't lose it down in the engine.

2. Use a small piece of 12 gauge copper wire as a link between the old chain and the new chain -- just overlap the wire on the side of the chain and make it as narrow as possible.

3. Feed the new chain from the front (exhaust) of the engine through the frame where the bracket for the horns connects.

4. Connect the ends of the new chain, with the master link, before bolting the cam gears onto the cams. You can put the gears on the cams after the chain is complete.

5. You can adjust the timing by moving the chain on the gears and then positioning the gears on the cams. Remember that the tensioner will change the timing a little when you install it, so you may have to move the crank A LITTLE past the T in order to get it timed correctly.

6. Put a large Phillips screwdriver, or punch, through a hole in a cam gear to keep it from turning when you tighten the bolts on the gears.

7. Plan on replacing the valve cover gasket and the timing chain tensioner gasket. Both of mine broke even though they had only been on for a couple of years.

Good Luck!
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
            1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
            2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
            1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
            2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
            X