Throttle Cable Keeps Coming Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable Keeps Coming Loose

I just had my bike "put together" by a mechanic after having just bought it. Here is the problem...the throttle cable keeps coming out of its holder. I can get it back in, but I want to know if something was put on backwards or upside down. It pops out anytime and anywhere...not good.

XS1100SG

If your talking about the holder that bolts to the rocker cover, You should be able to just crip it a LITTLE useing a pair of pliers. I used my fingers to crimp as to not get it TOO tight. Slack is taken up at the throttle hand twist. There should be a keeper at the base of the twist and the cable should run through a small 90 degree tube. at the end of the tube ( were the cable enters ) there should be a lock nut and an adjuster. If you can't adjust enough to take out the slack, then it's time to replace.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I agree that too much slack in the cable may be causing the cable end to come off of the linkage at the carb. Check out the tab at the throttle grip and make sure it is still there (by that metal bend). If the throttle linkage is hanging-up and there is temporarily no force to return the cable, you could be getting enough slack to cause it to come out there. There should be no physical way to get that cable end out of the linkage without a lot of slack!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
      X