Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gettin' to the CORE of the matter!

Hey there Motoman, and Prom, and Jerry,

Thanks for the inputs. Looks like I'll be getting my Core Charge back afterall!! I did a little experiment at the kitchen sink, mixing up a level tblspoon of baking soda in about 4 ounces of water. Then took a tblspoon of Vinegar....mild acetic acid, and put it in the baking soda solution, got a mild bubbling reaction, stronger with the first, and then less with the next several spoonfuls. But NO OVERFLOWING amount, not even a good beer head!

But I also know that this was a very mild acid, nothing like the SULFURIC stuff in the battery. But looks like I won't bother trying this process. IT's been too long since chemistry class in High School, and I don't know the exact elements that are in the
    Lead-Acid battery which allows for the creation of electical current thru the chemical reaction?

The OLD battery was a Champion brand, from an Auto store that isn't in business anymore. I don't know what brand the Champion was, but it lasted 5 years, so I'm relatively happy with that performance, especially with my abuse!! I'll be checking and cleaning my cables, verifying their continuity/ resistance, and replacing if found poor!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

champion is an exide product.

walmart contracts all the players - jci, exide, and the former delphi

cores are a means to recoup lost revenue on prorate warranties and to offset the high cost of lead.

as some here have found. stop pissing with flooded sli and invest in a vrla or gel cell- i.e the odyssey, westco, or plain 12-18

if you must continue your relationship with your flooded battery invest in a trickle or pulse charger.

never add acid to a battery that has overcharged dry. the water has boiled or evaporated off leaving the sulfer attached to the plates. more acid will unbalance the mixture. only add water.

and for gods sake after monkeying with your battery wash your hands before eating lunch or taking a leak.

Comment

Specially the latter!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Finally stepping up to the "plate"

Nice quip there, T.C.
          Anode'y, but a goodie.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
          X