Wide Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide Tire

I am thinking of fabing a new swing arm to fit a wider tire. How hard is it to make the driveshaft work with a wider tire? Is there something I can move to bring the drive out of can the shaft handle some angle if I left it where it is? It looks like there is a middle unit that I could possibly make a spacer for and move out further. Would this work?

- Chad

Hey there Chad,

Well, you're on the quest for the holy grail of XS11's, getting a wider rear tire/wheel!! About the best thing I've seen is getting a chain drive conversion. MartyA has one of those middle gear Chain conversions in the parts he has, might be willing to let it go!?

The shaft has only 1 pivot point at the "U", to allow the wheel to move up and down, but not sideways!! Trying to move the final drive laterally would require a 2nd "U" so that you could keep the shaft portion on the wheel parallel to the wheel. Also, extending the shaft and adding an extra "U" might reduce the effective power/torque to the final drive!?

Somebody posted a message and link about a shop that does this conversion for VMax's, and they did one for his XS11 bike, but was many$$$$, they split the rim and widen it along with fabing a swingarm to keep the driveshaft!!?? Good Luck. About the widest stock tire you can put on is a 140/90/16 or 17 depending on what you have!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X