valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve adjustment

kk guys have my valve covers of measured the valve intake and exhaust clearance. Looks like its off according to the tech manual. Heres the measurements on the valves.
    intake: .800 est., .127, .127, .800 est. (1,2,3,4 in order)
    exhaust .178, .178, .152, .152 (1,2,3,4)

Seems to be off pretty good should i get new pads. I'm kida new at this stuff wondering how much this could improve performance.

Do your valves seem kinda noisy? A couple of your intake clearance are pretty high. What you have to do is find out what shims you have in there to begin with. Then order ones to take up the slop. I'd measure again just to make sure. Does your manual cover how to remove the shims?
    Kevin
    '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
    [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

valve adjust

yeah manual shows how i need to get a tool from another memeber lives miles away from here. Seems high? The manual says intake should be around .19, and the exhaust around .23.
      Does the lower measurement mean more slop?

Comment

valves

they dont seems noisy. I just bought this bike and gonna fix it up
        it starts ok, but needs to warm up a bit until it will idle ok. Changed plugs, changed oil that had 5 qaurts in it. Its running better, but want it prime

Comment

Your .800mm measurements mean you have alot of clearance between the cam and the shim. Too much clearance can make things noisy and wear faster. At .8mm you have 4-5 times more clearance than needed. Befroe you can get different shims for the ones that are out of tolerance you need to find out which shims are in there. They have numbers on them. If you have a 250 shim in there you will need to get a 310 shim to fix it. Does you manual also have the valve shim selection chart? If not I could look at one here.

http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/valves.html
          Last edited by sidecarKev; 07-23-2004, 01:37 PM.
          Kevin

Comment

valve pads

yeah manual has a chart to determine what shims i need. I need to take the old ones out to determine i guess. I,m confussed on the clearance. intake was .800 and needs to be .19 according to manual. Way i look at it it is twices as tight as should be. Is that top side so down in the cylinder i have to much room?

Comment

Griff;

On these shim-over-bucket valve trains, as the valves wear into the seats the clearances DECREASE. The size of the shim is etched onto the bottom of the shim. Pull each and record the value. There is a chart for replacements here on the site. Do a search and you'll find it. It shows how to determine the right shims. Some of the old ones can probably be moved around to other valves to save you some trouble and $$. The new shims go for about $4 each from places like Cycle Recycle.

Don't forget to re-install the shims with the numbers DOWN so the numbers don't get worn off by the cams. And keep the record of which size is where for the next adjustment.

HTH

Randy

Comment

You are measuring the distance from the cams lowest point (area directly opposite the lobe) to the shim. 0.8mm would be the distance between these. It is supposed to be

Exhaust 0.21-0.25mm (cold)
                Intake 0.16-0.20mm (cold)

.8 is showing that there is 4 times the max distance allowed.
                Do you mean 0.08mm instead of 0.8mm?
                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X