XS 1100 SF Shocks (Cusions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 1100 SF Shocks (Cusions)

If you have followed my thread in the general forum category, you will recognize me with my "raising the dead" story about the shop from hell.

After I got all my boxes of parts back from this rip off artist, I started looking over what I have to do to re-assemble the bike. I have all the carb parts ordered for a re-build and the tank is pristine. The cosmetics of the bike need some attention (yeah, I know it doesn't affect the ride). I was looking at the rear shock absorbers (cusions as Yamaha calls them). Mine are pretty rusty and the chrome is pretty well shot. Has anyone else explored viable options for what to do with these things? The parts are no longer available through Yamaha so that is out. Are there 3rd party parts availalbe? I suspect re-chroming is not an option without destroying the assembly so that leaves possibly painting the things, which I guess I could do but with all the surface areas presented by the spring might be a challenge. Any ideas?

GoodoleBoy

I put progressives on mine but they are like 200 bucks and work great. They are about 1 inch longer so you get a better ride. I just slide my forks down all the way and it made worlds of difference.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

These should work also.

PartsNMore Shocks

Or a prettier set could be bought off Ebay.
      Kevin
      '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
      [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

Shocks

I can vouch for the shocks that Kev just suggested. I have a pair on both my XS11 and FT500. For the price I have been very pleased. The ones on the XS are now 2 years plus old with no problems, (about 18,000km)
        I liked them (and there price) so much that when the shocks went soft on my Honda I put a set on it as well.
        In both cases I ordered the long ones. Gives more road clearance, makes it easier to place bike on center stand and increases the "trail" of the front forks/suspension which makes the XS a little more "flickable".
        I ordered through Mikes XS in florida. Good price and service from Mike. Also for US customers on orders over $30.00 he provides free shipping.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Hey there Goodoleboy,

I can vouch for these also, however mine were JCW, but I'm sure they are made by the same company. Just think of them as GENERIC vs. brand! I have 3 years on mine also, but no where near as many miles as Ratbyk, but they are still working well, no hopping, good dampening affect, and good lift when needed it for hauling stuff!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Anyone put V-Max shocks on?
            There are a few sets on ebay, cheap.

Another thing... I read somewhere, that the left one is supposed to be shorter due to the shaft drive... is this true or am I seeing (reading) things....

Anyway, since I'm more or less legal and riding the XS a bit more, the right shock is loosing some oil, the left one seems OK, front forks are gonners (been straightened, a bit of rust just where the oil ring is, the clearcoat is ugly as hell and they're pretty scratched). So, a fork brace I can/will get, front forks and rear shocks are just a question of time (read: money).
            It sucks being unemployed. Not for long I hope.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

i have the same prob with both my rear shocks puking oil and also have the same prob with the money issue but my dad keeps trying to convince me to put air shocks on the back because he loves the smooth ride they give on his harley...i need to do something because trying to wash all that oil and dirt off is gettin old, almost tempted to get a set of the JCW ones
              79 xs1100sf
              79 firebird
              85 f250 truggy

Comment

Rear Shocks

If money is tight definitely go for the JCW ones. The shock portion really does work well and you end up with chrome progressive springs. They are not a bad looking and working unit.
                Ken/Sooke

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the Input. I didn't even know JCW carried such an array of parts for the XS's. I think I will probably give theirs a try since money is definitely not growing on any trees in the backyard these days.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X