gas in the oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas in the oil

I'm new to the site and a new xs1100 owner. I got the oil changed and smell gas in it. When i bought it it had 3 diff kinda plugs and 2 cylinders werent firing. I got the right plugs and have all 4 firing now. I'm worried that the gas in the oil might of caused some damage or might still be doing it. I also noticed that the oil level was way high maybe a qaurt or more this could also be do to the gas in the oil? Any imput on this would be much appreciated. Tech manual comming gonna start tinkering kind of excited. ty

how long did the engine run with this gas in it

Comment

Basically gas will dilute oil (make it thinner) I have noticed a few of your post and I am gathering that you have either not had this bike running yet or ran it for a very short while. gas in the oil will reduce the oils ability to prevent wear. I would change oil before running the bike again but from my understanding you have had a hard time getting the bike running and heavy flooding was one of your problems excessive flooding will allow raw gas to slip by the rings and contaminate the oil so it is possible that this gas entered the crank case while you were trying to get it running.even with a full quart of gas in your oil the oil will still lubricate your engine to a lesser degree. if the bike has not been run in use but just in trying to get it working there is likely a minimal amount of damage if any.

Comment

I have had it running. i also didn't mention that there was oil comming out of the exhaust manifolds, it smoked bad and has little oil noticeable at the end of the tail pipe. It runs ok takes
        about 30 secs of running or reving before it will idle ok. As far as riding it has nice power mostly when RPM's are higher. When giving it gas seems to take a few secs then it takes off. I plan on
        going through the carbs and maybe a valve adjustment. It has good compression, but it looks like i need to get it tuned in.

Comment

the guy i bought it from ran it like that for few months i believe

Comment

Change the oil, fix the petcocks (remember most K+L kits won't work without modifying the plastic spacer to thin it out some in the circle recess opening because K+L's plunger isn't long enough to seal right. Keep bench testing the petcocks untill they hold. Then spin some fine steel wool in the needle seats and bech test the carbs untill you're sure they don't lead. Run it with the bottom airbox off and look for gas. No gas leakage button it up and have some fun. Let's just hope the rod bearings are still good.
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
            X