Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crankcase Aspiration...eh...Breather Hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase Aspiration...eh...Breather Hose?

I swear the thing is puking like that fat kid at the pie eating contest.

I have the individual cone filters on the backside of my carbs instead of the airbox. Which leaves the crankcase breather hole nowhere to go.

Currently, there is a small bit of the hose comming out of the crankcase like a little boy out of his bris. Then a little black box thing that is allegedly a filter.

Still the underside of that whole area is constantly filthy and oily and all sorts of a mess.

I've cleaned and inspected and I'm pretty sure that hose is the culperit. I had the same deal on my XS850 as well.

My question is, short of putting the airbox back on, is there any fix to stop the breather hose from spitting up all over everything around it?

Consider your suggestions my pepto bismol
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

I would try extending the hose higher (Like about Stock height) If there isn't some type of baffle missing than the short hose must be the cause of the oil coming out or your stock breather would fill with oil also wouldnt it.

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable idea.
      Anyone have suggestions on what type of material I should use for the hose?

(needless to say, I don't have the stock one)

Would the correct size fuel line work?
      Does it need to be anything in particular?
      (wouldn's imagine it would.)
      I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
      //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Hose Relocation

Make up a hose long enough so that you can loop it up a bit higher than the carbs and then bring it back down so that the end is positioned between the air filters for carbs 2-3. Not all, but a lot of the blow by gases will be drawn in with the intake air and burned off.
        Another possibility is to again go high so just fumes will travel up (no oil) then run the exit end down low. Below the bottom of the frame. Kind of like the fuel tank over flow vent hose or the over full discharge hose from the battery.
        This way you will reduce the portions of the bike that the oily fumes can find a place to stick and blow away.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Hose Type

You should be able to buy any length that you need of bulk;fuel line, vacuum hose, PCV hose from any automotive parts store. All of it is made from neoprene that should be impervious to the oil fumes. At least for two three years. The filter on the end of your existing hose is more to keep air born dirt from being drawn into the crankcase on cool down than to keep oil in the crankcase.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

basically any type of hose that can handle heat and won't deteriorate from oil Fuel hose or crankcase breather hose from something else.

Comment

Working...
            X