oil filter change and 4-1 exhaust probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter change and 4-1 exhaust probs

I am having a problem getting the oil filter housing out. I have a 4-1 exhaust and the housing wont come out there isnt enough room between the pipes. Am i gonna have to take the exhaust pipes off or is there a trick i dont know about?

Some 4 into 1s do require you to drop the exhaust system to change the oil filter. You might want to check into this thread concerning a spin-on oil filter adapter:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=spin+on
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

pipe removeal

i had to take off my exhaust at oil changes,it is not uncommon.Mine was a 4-1 kerker.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

If it is a chrome header style from Jardine on an xs11, it may help to pull the bolt out to get the housing to clear the pipes. In other words, spin the bolt out a little, then spin the housing and bolt when the tabs have clearance until you begin to contact the pipes, then, push up on the housing to free-up the bolt. I hope this make sense to you... It can be a bit messy, but oil cleans up nicely with kerosine on paper towels. I do like the idea of providing a drain plug on the housing or using a spin-on filter modification.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

in short.
          most 4-1 exhausts on these bikes don't allow any room to change the filter without dumping oil all over your pipes.

That is unless you do take them off.
          I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
          //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Skids, I have installed a drain plug in the filter cup with very good results. I ground down the cooling fin directly behind the filter cup bolt, and drilled and tapped a 1/8 pipe thread. At first I used a small ball valve, but after the Big Bore Project I switched over to a brass 1/8 pipe plug because I installed an oil cooler and it hung down an extra inch or so. I am tempted to enlarge the hole to 1/4 pipe so it will drain faster.

Comment

I will be doing that when I get the time.

Originally posted by John
              Skids, I have installed a drain plug in the filter cup with very good results.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

oil and exhaust

well thxs for the info guys. I like this site. Lots of knowledge floating around i look foward to more discussion. I'm a new owner of an 1100 xs that needs a bit of work. It has good compression so theres a start. ty vm

Comment

I have three xs11 with 4-1 header. I do not have to remove the exhaust to change the filter. When you install the header adjust the pipes so the filter has clearance. Worked on the jardine and the Mac. If the header comes apart this is workable solution if you have a solid welded header not as easy. There is a little give on the mounting just be careful not to put to much pressure on the exhaust manifold bolts. To get that filter out you just need a little clearance. Play with it a bit and you might save yourself the trouble of removing exhaust every time. Long term removing the header will cause broken bolts,heli coils .........

Comment

Working...
                  X