any one got a wireing diagram for a 78 xs 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one got a wireing diagram for a 78 xs 11

First of all I got to say thanks to every one here I bought a 78 xs 1100E about a week ago only 35000 km but had been parked semi shedded for about 9 years. although i have not said any thing in this forum yet (for lack of knowledge) i have been attentivly studying the forum answers and I have found the information extreamly knowledable. Most importantly everyone here speaks in terms that the small moter mechanic simpleton i am can understand. so THANX!!! now on to my problem during the course of getting the the engine to run properly my headlight tach, and speedo lights all quit working at the same time and the main fuse is drawing enough power to melt the plastic around the brass fuse holder. SHORT? Yes I think so but what a mess of wires to fish through. I found a conector which arcs when I unplug it so i expect this is the culpret. I read that there is a headlight relay and thought if this relay also supplies the instrument lights than i imagine the arcing wire is the lead for the relay. my problem is I have no idea where this relay is or coler code for wiring.

is it the same as the 79Sf or does any one have a wiring diagram for the 78 XS 1100E

Thanx

ps.. Any one know how to fix a lazy speedo
    Last edited by Nastydude; 07-19-2004, 07:48 PM.

Sooner or later (probably very sooner), you are going to need a service manual. The Clymers manual has a good wiring diagram in the back. Click on the tech tips and look for speedo repair, the lazy speedo problem is addressed in there. Good luck
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Hmm... didn't find the speedo tech tip there... maybe I'm just blind.
      But I got me a little problem....
      Till bout a week ago, when 4000 rpm were on the tacho, the speedo indicated bout 100 kmh/60 mph.
      Then, when riding with my SWMBO I noticed the speedo wobbling a bit. A day later speedo wobble vanished, but now it shows 90 kmh at 4000 rpm.... hmm... which one is/was false? Speedo or tacho?

LP

PS: Installed a home-made luggage rack, saddlebags and a topcase... now I can go to the store
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Hey Nastydude,

Check out the link. Should be what you are looking for.

Wiring Diagram

Like rover says, get a manual. They come in quite handy for all sorts of things. Or get the CD manuals .
        Kevin
        '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
        [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

You folks are AWESOME! It's nice to see people helping people.

i've been driving bikes since i was a kid first bike was a Yamaha MX80 my brother and I bought brand new as a kids second was a 100 yamaha my eldest brother gave me when i was 14. third was a 400 suzuki two stroke enduro (DR Kyvorkian Recommended Crazy acceleration - no traction). fourth bike was a 82 400 maxim which i drove to work for two years before I left it with my younger brother for him to use and although the power train and frame are still sound, You folks would cry to see what he did to the rest of it. and it still has less than 10 000 km too. So about a week and 1/2 ago I bought a 1978 XS 1100E from a friend who had two a venture and a venture royal. But this bike has been stored semi sheded and has not run in 9 years. Condition of the sale was that i get my bike licence. yes thats right i do not have a licence. so i'v been working on this bike every waking moment to try and get every thing working properly so I can drive the test. the only two major problems left are getting the engine running properly and fixing the speedometer. I still have other things to do like fork seals and seat repairs. but leaky forks and two quarter size tears in the seat will not hinder the driving test.

I looked and couln't find any thing on fixing the speedo. my speedo is accurate when it finally gets there. it is just incredibly slow when you excellerate to 3800 rpm it can take upto 2 miles or more for the speedo to reach 100 km. when you come to a stop the speedo is still showing the speed you were travelling before you decellerate. I understand that the speedo is probably just sticky or dirty. But i don't want to just randomly start spraying wd-40 or other lubricants that will deteriorate rubber or plastic parts. possibly contact cleaner than a graphite lubricant.

I have about 12 hours into the carbs and i still have a problem in the 1500 to 4000 rpm range sputtering and poping in the exaust when you try to accellerate quickly. i have cleaned and recleaned ALL of the jets and ports in the carb and this problem still exists. I have cracks in the rubber intake boots and i'm gonna try urathane primmer than a generous coat of winshield urathane to seal the cracks although i can't find any that have penatrated through the boot and don't know if a crack in these boot would cause this problem. seems rich not lean.

Comment

Just a thought

I have been fowolling your carb saga with intrest,, I dont think it is your carbs . if you have done all you say i think i would shift my efforts to the pick up wires! Betcha a good canadian 6 pack thats the trouble!!!!........................MITCH
            Doug Mitchell
            82 XJ1100 sold
            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Just a thought

I have been fowolling your carb saga with intrest,, I dont think it is your carbs . if you have done all you say i think i would shift my efforts to the pick up wires! Betcha a good canadian 6 pack thats the trouble! On the speedo check the cable take it off and lube it make sure its routed where its not binding. Some guys posted about cleaning thiers search up top type in speedo cleaning, sticking you should find some threads which should help
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

just finished going through my pick up wires I undid the brackets and pulled bent twisted pushed together the wires every which way. there was one spot on one wire where there was wear on the cover of the wire so i wrapped the wire in high voltage dead ending tape and electrical tape there was no difference in the running of the bike at any time.

Comment

Working...
                X