oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil drain plug

I removed the oil filter to find two plugs underneath it. Would one of those be the drain plug, if not, where is it?

The oil drain is located behind the oil filter cover. It is a hex bolt that I think is 19 mm but I am not sure of the exact size. You don't remove the oil filter cover to drain the oil, only to change the filter.
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

"The oil drain is located behind the oil filter cover. "
      "You don't remove the oil filter cover to drain the oil, only to change the filter."

You really confused me there. The drain bolt is behind the oil filter cover, yet you don't need to remove the cover to drain the oil? I suppose I'll eventually see when I attempt to change my oil, but boy is that confusing!

Kevin
      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Yes, Kevin, it will work. If you look towards the oil filter cover, while lying on your back with your head near the front wheel, you will see the bottom of the crankcase just behind the cover. The crankcase drain plug is in the lower, forward, left corner of the crankcase pan. There is room to get a 19mm wrench on the crankcase drain plug while the oil filter cover is still in place. If you have a 4 into 1 exhaust system, you should find the drain plug directly above a hot pipe.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

I believe that Thumperjsa meant behind (toward the back of the bike) the oil filter cover, as opposed to under the oil filter cover. And watch those pipes if the bike is hot! I still have the marks on my forearm from the last time I changed the oil & filter.
          Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A So's Gheibh Sibh Feoil

Comment

Do not loosen the two'plugs' under the oil filter. They are not plugs, but they are the bolts that assemble the main bearings for the crankshaft.

Comment

Eureka!

I'm starting to get this the concept of the word 'under' and it's usage. Thanks for clearing it up! I wouldn't want to unbolt my main bearing, or I'd be back here asking for torque specs on that.

Kevin
              '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
              '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

oil change

Thanks for the help. I managed to locate the drain plug and change the oil.

Comment

Working...
                X